News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Funny Head

billie-ray - Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:03 pm

My father died of a brain Tumour (front Global) I am a very anxious person and a constant worrier and sometimes make illnes occur through this. I had been experiencing headaches for about six weeks along with a pressure pain behind my right eye and temple. It is deffinatley not sinuses. My GP has looked at my optical lens and said that it is clear as a bell and If i relax it should disappear. The headaches have gone but I am still left with the pressure and sometimes feel lightheaded for a second. The pressure is always there but gets worse around mid afternoon. I am so pretrified that I also have a brain tumour that I am in tears every night. And also If i do have one that it is now too late to do something about it and I will die. I have asked my doctor to refer me to a private neurologist as I am so afraid. I have never experienced this type of thing before, espcially the lightheadedness, Please Please Please help
 radiodoc100 - Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:46 pm

Dear Billy-Ray,
I wrote you a long reply which may have got lost in cyber space! Essentially I was saying that grieving, when unfinished, can cause anxiety. I would guess this might be what is happening to you. Could you find a bereavement group that you could go to in order to work through your gief over your father's death? Ask your GP re this perhaps, or your pastor.
Your symptoms do not sound physical, but I would hope that your doctor has tapped out your reflexes and tested your muscle power and done some tests on your cranial nerves (looking at the back of the eye was part of this testing). These tests would tell us if there were, or were not,what we call a space occupying lesion. in your brain, and would be adequate to rule out any significant growth.
If I were your GP I would ask you questions to ascertain if your were suffering from an anxiety state, or possibly depression secondary to a prolonged grief reaction. If you were I would probably try a trial of SSRI medications which treat anxiety and depression, and are not addictive. If this relieved the pressure in your head, great! It would take at least 3 weeks before we knew if the tablets were working since this is how long these medications take to start to be effective. If they made no difference I would consider referral to a neurologist.
Worry is a terible thing, and telling a patient not to worry is not helpful, as you know!
Ask the doctor to treat the worry, then see if the pressure feeling go. I think you will find that they do. Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here