News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Back of head pain/swelling

Ansx6 - Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:50 pm

Don't want to be repetitive bt i need answers! If anyone can help...I occasionally (once a week or so) receive pain in the back of the head near the base of the skull. It is painful to the touch or when pressure is applied and feels like a swelling of some sort, like a gland. It lasts usally for a few days and I don't know where this is coming from. Any suggestions? Thank you
 DeLWolcott - Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:51 am

Sounds like a trigger point (muscle spasm) in the occipital area. Try applying heat (rather warm, not hot) to the back of your head while lying down, some very gentle massage to get good circulation going to the area, and gentle stretching leaning head to the sides and front for about 10 seconds each. Do NOT lean head back as this only contracts the muscles in the area that you are trying to relax.

These headaches do last for a few days. The spasm can be so intense that the muscle will feel bruised or sore even after the tension has been released. If you have someone around, ask for their help in massaging the neck and scalp, starting with gentle pressure at the base of the skull where you described, slow circles, then going to a full scalp massage with both hands even going to the temples, above and around the eyes and facial cheeks, including the jaw area. Blood circulation and relaxation are key. Do the stretching several times a day when you have a chance even if you do not have a headache. Do not force your head to go further than the pain allows. The flexibility will return as long as you listen to your body as you are stretching.

If these become more frequent (3+ times per week), get in to see your physician. If you begin to notice swollen lymph glands, fever, dizziness or any other new symptom, see your physician.

I hope this helps. This headaches are awful and it feels like you have a hump sticking out of the bottom of your head. Try to refrain from any muscle relaxers as this will mask your symptoms and could cause you to further injure yourself if you overdo the stretching. Contact your physician or his/her nurse for suggestions for a gentle pain reliever. Good luck!
 mnb123clowngirl - Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:33 am

If these become more frequent (3+ times per week), get in to see your physician. If you begin to notice swollen lymph glands, fever, dizziness or any other new symptom, see your physician.

hi, i'm visiting my dad for christmas, he's technoligically impaired, among other intelectual impairments.
but he has a huge thyroid issue, he has the kind where he gains wait while starving himself, and he has a horrible crippling condition of rhumatoid arthritis as well. -he also drinks, smokes a pack a day no but it used to be three, and cannot loose wait due to his thyroid condition so he's around 300 pounds. lovely man he is.

I was massaging his neck and found that the back of his skull is extremely swollen, and theres no telling how long its been that way because he had no idea about it. he just sits in his chair all day and watchs the tele. he's also expressed all of the symptoms you have mentioned in the quoted text. By any chance do you have any ideas of the top of your head as to what ailments may accompany those symptoms if they do occur for long peroids of time?

-he is seeing a doctor, but he's very poor so its every month or so because he has bollocks medical insurance. -he has not discussed this with a doctor yet though, im just interested in trying to get a head start on saving this old bastard.

any ideas would be wonderful thank you very much

(i'm sorry if this post depresses you, we're really quite happy people, its not all that bad.)

-meche

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here