News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Shopping bag harms nerve of finger?

azaria - Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:44 pm

Some 3-4 days ago I carried heavy plastic shopping bags. the handle of one of them pressed on the first part of my ring finger. Specifically on the inner part and side facing the thumb. The pressure lasted a few minutes (3-5) and was caused by approximately 7-10Kg of groceries in the plastic bag/

Since then that finger is numb. It was almost completely without feeling in the first hours after removing the bag. Over the next few days the numbness is reducing, but still there.

No motoric effect whatsoever. I can, and could move the finger freely.

My questions are:
1. What caused this numbness. What is the mechanism? ( I figure a nerve was pressed or crushed, but what happened neurologically?)
2. Why is the numbness lasting so long, and will it disappear completely or will some remain?
 azaria - Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:26 am

It is now a good few feeks after the initial incident. The numbness did not go away or lesen significantly as I was hoping.
Can ayone here explain how or what happened to cause it in the first place?
Maybe that will help find a way to improve the situation, or at lease prevent reocurring of similar problems in next shopping trips ;-)
ThanX in advance

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here