Forum Name: Headaches

Question: migraines that cause me to pass out...is it normal???

bratmommy5 - Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:36 am

I have had spinal tap dx viral meningitis about 6 times caused by herpes simplex. I now take valtrex on a daily basis and it has prevented any more cases thus far. However, for about a year now I have developed Migraines. I get extremely nausiated, some times I throw up about 5-7 times. I take the imitrex stat dose injuction, along with phenrigan. This combo seems to work most of the time. My Dr. seems to think the repeated spinal taps are the cause of the headaches. I am a type 2 diabetic, I take 15 mg of actos on daily basis. My sugar usually runs pretty normal on my meds. MY CONCRN/QUESTION:
last week at work I was feeling worse by the minute, went to the bath room to vomit and woke up in the back of an ambulance on my way to the er. I don't remember much c/a the incident. I have a huge bruise on my leg from where I fell. They did a ct and it was normal. My co workers said I was very incoherent, the only thing I would say was that "my head hurts" and they said I kept my hands over my face. I have had only one other incident like this, it was at home, same story...migraine from hell, went to vomit, woke up in the bk of an ambulance on the way to the er. I honestly think it where I just get such an intence headache, but everyone, including my dr. is pressuring me to see a nuerologist. since the ct was normal what would be the point???? is this not normal??? i have no clue what to do. Please help.
 angel2close - Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:12 pm

Unfortunately there is no such thing as normal for a migriane. Each and every person who suffers from migraines has different 'auras', different tolerances for the pain, etc. Migraines in and of themselves are not what 'we' consider 'normal'. I believe that you have the answer to your question though already. If your doctor is 'pressuring' you to see a Neurologist, than I think that is what you should do. If one test is normal than it is customary for doctors to conduct other testing and/ or refer you to a specialist to find an answer. I suggest that you follow your doctor's suggestion and see a Neurologist.

|