Question: Dizziness, numbness , nausea

sprecious - Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:47 pm

I am an active 62 year old women and for the last couple of years (2-3) I’ve experiences dizzy spells that come along with vertigo, nausea, fainting spells and blurred vision. Not until recently did these spells come accompanied by pain and numbness in my arm. The numbness worsens with exercise and brings about pain, and I exercise regularly, I play tennis and run over 20 miles a week. I am also a postal worker and tend to carry my postal bag on my left arm, is the numbness because of this or does it have anything to do with my other symptoms. I’ve recently gone to a nurse practioner and she said that the pain was from me carrying my bag on my left arm and she gave me a prescription for hypertension because my blood pressure was high and advised me to carry my bag on the other shoulder. Is her prescription what I needed or is there something worse going on with me. I just want a second opinion.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:06 pm

User avatar I would highly recommend you see a doctor, a neurologist preferably, since you have hypertension you are at increased risk for stroke. Your episodes are not normal and not just a result of hypertension.

Your arm pain and numbness may very possibly be from carrying the mailbag, but are also curious for something other than orthopedic problems.

You need to make an appt. as soon as possible, even though you are in excellent shape, your age and hypertension in spite of your fitness are of concern.

|