News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Dizziness, numbness , nausea

sprecious - Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:47 pm

I am an active 62 year old women and for the last couple of years (2-3) I’ve experiences dizzy spells that come along with vertigo, nausea, fainting spells and blurred vision. Not until recently did these spells come accompanied by pain and numbness in my arm. The numbness worsens with exercise and brings about pain, and I exercise regularly, I play tennis and run over 20 miles a week. I am also a postal worker and tend to carry my postal bag on my left arm, is the numbness because of this or does it have anything to do with my other symptoms. I’ve recently gone to a nurse practioner and she said that the pain was from me carrying my bag on my left arm and she gave me a prescription for hypertension because my blood pressure was high and advised me to carry my bag on the other shoulder. Is her prescription what I needed or is there something worse going on with me. I just want a second opinion.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:06 pm

User avatar I would highly recommend you see a doctor, a neurologist preferably, since you have hypertension you are at increased risk for stroke. Your episodes are not normal and not just a result of hypertension.

Your arm pain and numbness may very possibly be from carrying the mailbag, but are also curious for something other than orthopedic problems.

You need to make an appt. as soon as possible, even though you are in excellent shape, your age and hypertension in spite of your fitness are of concern.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here