Question: Cannot Sleep!!

Rachel227 - Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:45 pm

My name is Rachel and I am 20 years old. I have been diagnosed with insomnia for 7 years. I have been taking trazodone up until about two months ago. I have become immune to it, it's like taking a sugar pill. No matter what mg I take, it doesn't do anything. I have talked to my psychiatrist and I have tried numerous sleeping medications, and none seem to help. Right now I am using Ambien, which drugs me, but I don't sleep. I have trouble getting to sleep, and I also have trouble staying asleep. No matter what I try, I cannot stay asleep. I toss and turn all night long. I haven't really slept in over a month. My eyes are sunken in, and I cannot consentrate at work. I cannot drive anymore because several times I've almost fallen asleep at the wheel. I am so tired, but its like my brain will not let me sleep. I am afraid I am going to lose my job because I feel sick all the time and have horrible headaches. Have you ever heard of this? I feel like I am never going to sleep again. I am going to go take a sleep study, but I don't know what that will do. I have tried so many medications, and some don't do anything, and others just drug me. It has gotten to the point I am afraid I am going to die from lack of sleep. I feel hopeless :cry:
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:28 am

User avatar Hi Rachel227,
Have you eliminated stimulants, caffiene, nicotine, etc.? Has depression or anxiety been ruled out as a cause for your insomnia? Has anyone ever mentioned that you snore when you are asleep? One reason for a sleep study is to detect sleep apnea, or obstructive sleep apnea. When sleep apnea occurs a person has periods of no breathing during sleep. This in turn causes depression, memory problems, decreased alertness, excessive daytime sleepiness. If sleep apnea is found not to be the cause of your insomnia, along with any anxiety or depression problems some things that you may do to help alleviate some of the insomnia is again, eliminate use of caffiene, nicotine, or any other stimulants. Avoid excessive exercise prior to bed as well as large meals, fluids etc. to minimize the need to get up in the middle of the night. The circadian rhythm, or sleep - wake cycle may become altered for many reasons. Melatonin is low during daylight hours and increases during dark. Measure to elevate these levels as with supplements may also be helpful, but as always be sure to check with your physcian prior to taking this course of action.
Good luck to you and I hope that you begin having more restful sleep.
 Rachel227 - Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:46 am

I have been diagnosed with depression as long as I have been with insomnia. I take Effexor XR 300mg. I do not have sleep apnea. I have never snored. I don't smoke, and I have stopped drinking caffiene. All that I drink now is water. I think the reason they are going to do a sleep study is to see why my brain will not let me stay asleep. If the only reason is for sleep apnea, then that makes me feel terrible. If they are just looking to see if I snore, then I really feel hopeless. There is nothing in my life that has altered my depression. Effexor works for me. The only thing that has happened is that I cannot sleep anymore.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:55 am

User avatar Hi Rachel227,
I used sleep apnea as an example. That is certainly not to say this is the only reason you would be having this particular test. If they can identify, for example, how many times you awake during sleep, what triggers you awake, and how to treat you, or if there is an underlying medical disorder, then this is something to be of your benefit. My apologies are extended if the implication was directed to a sleep apnea disorder being the only indication of the test.
 cornflkgrl - Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:02 pm

I am no doctor or medical person but I have been bipolar a long time and taken every antidepressant on the planet and they will defenetly make you have insomnia. I take lunesta for sleep and it works well for me.

|