Back to Oncology Drug index
Name: Tamoxifen citrate
Pregnancy Category D
Potent antiestrogenic effects: competes with estrogen for binding
target tissues, such as the breast.
- Adjunct with cytotoxic chemotherapy following radical or modified
mastectomy to delay recurrence of surgically curable breast cancer in
postmenopausal women or women older than 50 y with positive axillary
- Treatment of advanced, metastatic breast cancer in women and men
- Unlabeled uses: treatment of mastalgia; useful for decreasing size and
pain of gynecomastia; preventive therapy for women at high risk of
cancer; treatment of pancreatic carcinoma
- Allergy to tamoxifen, pregnancy, lactation.
- CNS: Depression, lightheadedness, dizziness, headache, corneal
decreased visual acuity, retinopathy
- GI: Nausea, vomiting, food distaste
- Hematologic: Hypercalcemia, especially in patients with bone
thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, anemia
- GU: Vaginal bleeding, vaginal discharge, menstrual irregularities,
- Dermatologic: Hot flashes, skin rash
- Other: Peripheral edema; increased bone and tumor pain and local
(initially seen with a good tumor response, usually subsides); cancer
Are you a doctor or a nurse?
Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?
Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and
give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.
Click on the link below to see the requirements:
Doctors Lounge Membership