Back to Oncology Drug index
Melphalan, L-PAM, L-Sarcolysin, Phenylalanine mustard
Pregnancy Category D
Mechanism of action
A derivative of mechlorethamine that inhibits DNA and RNA synthesis via
formation of carbonium ions; cross-links strands of DNA.
Palliative treatment of:
- Multiple Myeloma
- Ovarian adenocarcinoma
- Breast cancer
- Hypersensitivity to the drug
Are you a doctor or a nurse?
Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?
Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and
give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.
Click on the link below to see the requirements:
Doctors Lounge Membership
especially leukocytic count and platelets, hemolytic anemia
- GIT: emetogenic potential: <100mg/m2
low, >100mg/m2 high, mucositis (rare),
- Skin: Alopecia, pruritis, rash,
- Respiratory: interstitial fibrosis,
- CVS: Vasculitis
- Endocrine: Amenorrhea, sterility,
- Other: 2ry leukemia, hypersensitivity,
hemorrhagic cystits, transaminases increase, hepatitis