Back to Oncology Drug index
Name: Vincristine sulfate
Pregnancy Category D
- Mitotic inhibitor
- Antineoplastic agent
Mitotic inhibitor: arrests mitotic division at the stage of metaphase;
exact mechanism of action unknown.
Hodgkin's disease, Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, multiple myeloma, lymphosarcoma,
reticulum cell sarcoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, neuroblastoma, bladder cancer,
Wilms' tumor as part of combination therapy
Unlabeled uses: idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura
Contraindicated in the presence of allergy to vincristine, leukopenia,
acute infection, pregnancy, lactation.
Use caution in the presence of neuromuscular disease, diabetes insipidus,
Are you a doctor or a nurse?
Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?
Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and
give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.
Click on the link below to see the requirements:
Doctors Lounge Membership
- CNS: Ataxia, cranial nerve manifestations; foot drop, headache, convulsions,
bladder neuropathy, paresthesias, sensory impairment, neuritic pain, muscle
wasting, SIADH, optic atrophy, transient cortical blindness, ptosis, diplopia,
- GI: Constipation, oral ulcerations, abdominal cramps, vomiting, diarrhea,
- Hematologic: Leukopenia
- GU: Acute uric acid nephropathy, polyuria, dysuria
- Local: Local irritation, cellulitis if extravasation occurs
- Other: Weight loss, loss of hair, fever, death with serious overdosage