Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Blood Work Results

jeshumate - Fri May 20, 2005 12:56 pm

Hi

I have just a few questions about my bloodwork results that I got last month. i went to the Dr. because I was having PVC's and I had an ekg and mild pvc's were noted. However my doctor did some bloodwork just to make sure that I did not have an electrolyte problem or a thyroid problem. Anyway so when my results came back I was a little shocked. I had an appointment at 4:30 to see my doctor. Not knowing that I would have to have bloodwork I was not fasted. My husband and I ate at a Subshop before I went. My doctor sent me to the ER to get an EKG that is where they are given in this area since my husband is in the military. Anyway when I got ny results back there were a few elevations that I would to talk about:

My first elevation was in myprotein. My protein level was 8.4 with the normal range that they gave on the bloodwork as 8.2.

The next elevation was my globulin. My globulin level was 4.6 with the normal range that they gave on the bloodowrk as 4.0

My monocytes were elevated my were .6 and they said normal was .2-.3.
All the other liver enzymes were within normal ranges.

Then a few things were low.

My SGOT was low..it was 14 and the normal they said was 15-34.
My BUn/Creatitine ratio was low my was 11; they said normal was 12-20 something.
My BASO was low mine was 0 and they said normal is 1-2
My T3 uptake was low mine was 27 and normal is 30-something

Just trying to figure out if everything is ok. The rest of my bloodwork was picture perfect but my doctor started scaring my talking about liver cancer etc. But then when I started crying he said it was probably just a transient reading. However I have talked to some other people and they consider my bloodowrk normal. Please help me find some comfort in all of this. I am twenty five years old and I consider myself to be in perfect health. I walk 4-5 miles a day and eat right and I am 5'7 and weight 130 pounds.
 Lisa K, RN - Fri May 20, 2005 8:08 pm

User avatar Hello Jeshumate,

Based on what you posted, I'm not sure why your doctor would have mentioned anything about "liver cancer." You said your "liver enzymes" were all elevated. SGOT is one the liver enzymes (it's actually also found in heart muscle and in large muscles of the body)...if anything, yours was a touch low.......It's when it's elevated that you might want to be concerned...if it's a little low, it's not really of any significance.

Your protein was a touch elevated but certainly not substantially. I would assume it was up a bit because your Globulin was a bit elevated (globulin is a protein).

When you wrote "BASO", I'm assuming you meant "basophils" (you'd see this reading in the section with neutrophils, monocytes, lymphocytes, eosinophils)...yours was 0, you say the normal range at your lab is 1-2. Are you sure? Most "ranges" I've seen (and of course they can vary a touch from lab to lab) show that the normal range starts @ 0...in other words, it's surely not "abnormal" to see NO basophils in your blood, not at all.

Globulin (the protein I mentioned above) can be elevated in someone who has chronic inflammation going on in the body....there's lots of non-life threatening conditions a person can have that will cause inflammation in the body.

Your slightly low BUN/Creatinine Ratio (these are both related to kidney function) could be low due to your diet not being very high in protein, being overhydrated.

Did you discuss your concerns about your results with your doctor? - it always helps to put one's mind at ease if you can share your fears/concerns about test results with your doc...they can really explain things well.

Can I assume that because you're here posting in the Leukemia forum that you have leukemia? (sorry, don't want to assume).

So what were the results of your EKG?
 jeshumate - Fri May 20, 2005 9:33 pm

HI

No I do not have leukemia or anything like that. This is my first time posting on something like this so sorry if I am in the wrong spot. I just had a general question about my bloodwork and I can not get answers from my doctor. When I went and had my ekg they noted mild premature ventricular contractions otherwise a normal ekg.
 Lisa K, RN - Fri May 20, 2005 9:56 pm

User avatar Hi Jeshumate,

No need to apologize, I just wondered if you had leukemia for if you did, that might have some significance to your bloodwork, that's all :-)
 tiadesai - Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:32 am

i don't think you have leukemia going by your symptoms
however do tell the doctor who is diagnosing you complete details of all your symptoms so that he can give you proper treatment
thanks

|