News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Cancer of Unknown Primary

Question: High Calcium level

DT0619 - Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:46 pm

I have just gotten my tests results back, and i went to get a copy of my lab tests before i see the doctor on friday. On my Comprehensive Metabolic Panel, I have a high calcim level (11.0 mg/DL), high Albumin (5.2 g/DL), AST (49/U/L) and ALT (80 U/L). On my CBC test, my lymphocytes (Absolute) was high. The level was 4529 Cells/mcL. The figures circled, (Which i assume are the ones he will be speaking to me about) is the calcium level and the AST and ALT level. I have been reading the causes of hypercalcemia, and the symptoms i have that correlate to it is exessive thirst and urination, recurrent headaches, and i have back pains, pains in my forearms, and my calf hurts when i drive. I'm 22 years old, and i am fairly nervous. And by the way, my feet are darker than the rest of my body. does this make a difference in any of this. I didn't tell my doc that. should i? Hopefully Thanksgiving will bring me some cheer. Hope someone will be able to help. Have a happy holiday to everyone readign this!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:23 pm

User avatar Hello,

I have read your other posts and your hormone profile is very suggestive of Cushing's syndrome, although your dexamethasone suppression test was normal as I understood.

The blood tests for your hormones should be repeated during periods of less stress as cortisol is a stress induced hormone.
If it returns back to normal then other possibilities like poly cystic ovary syndrome PCOS should be excluded.

Females with PCOS experience any of the following symptoms:
- Menstrual irregularity or absence of menstruation,
- Irregular vaginal bleeding,
Due to inadequate progesterone.
- Fertility problems
- Increased growth of hair Acne, oily skin, or dandruff
Due to excessive production of androgen (testosterone and DHEAS)
- Osteoprotic changes results in bony aches and high serum calcium level.
- Pelvic pain
- Obesity
- High Cholesterol
- High blood pressure
-functional hypothyrodism
Type 2 Diabetes

Pelvic US is used in the diagnosis. In this case high cortisol and prolactin could be also due to related stressful conditions.

If your hormonal profile still shows high levels of cortisol, prolactin I advise you to have an MRI or CT to rule out pituitary tumors.

Follow up with your doctor is essential, you can discuss with him these possibilities.

Keep us updated,
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here