News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Esophageal Cancer

Question: I need help

Bobby Darin - Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:00 pm

Hello.

About 2 weeks ago I had the "Flu". It was very violent, and I vomited for 8 days, at least 5 times a day. the week later, I noticed my throat had developed some "Lumps" .
Last week I noticed a foul smell. I rubbed a Q-Tip on one, and was shocked because the lumps now have holes in them that are filled with a white puss. Once I rubbed it out of the holes they began to bleed. The scarey thing is they do not hurt. I went to the Dr's on friday, and she said its just "strep" throat, but she didnt even swab them or nothing.

So could anyone please tell me what might be wrong with me, and what to do? I am very nervous, and afraid right now, so any help is greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:23 pm

User avatar Dear Bobby Darin,

White lesions on the tonsils, are most probably due to either an infection with a bacteria named group A streptococci or a virus Epstein-Barr virus (EBV).

- These conditions are usually associated with fever, and in the case of the bacterial infection, obviously a coarse of antibiotic would help in treating the condition. In the case of streptococcal infection, a simple throat swab and culture would define the causative agent.

- Exudative pharyngitis due to EBV is usually confusing with group A streptococcal pharyngitis, to add more difficulty in the diagnosis concomitant infection of both agents occurs in 30% of people. Sore throat, perhaps a strep throat that doesn't get better with antibiotics is due to EBV infection.

However other physical and clinical signs are characteristic to EBV infection would help the physician to differentiate between these two causes. Moreover, specific serological tests,(detection of antigens and or antibodies to a specific antigen from the infecting agent like as the monospot and heterophile antibody tests can help in the diagnosis of CMV infections.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor, and update her with any symptoms. You can discuss with her also the possible benefit of doing specific investigations if the condition did not improve or recurred.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here