News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Pain behind R nip., lump in R armpit

SoCal05 - Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:22 pm

Hello, I am a 25 year old female with no breast cancer history in family. I do have family history of skin and colon cancer. My mother had cancer cells present but they were never able to link them to anything. My hometown in the South harbors many cancer patients.

I have a lump the size of a marble in my right armpit. I had an ultrasound, and 2nd opinion- both pronounced it to be a benign (please excuse my spelling). However, the second doctor (my gyno) said if I was worried he suggested I have it removed. Ive also been having dull headaches at night- but this could be due to dietary changes. NO MORNING PAIN- I know thats a sign to look for.

Recently Ive started having random pains in my right breast, which feels like its behind my nipple. I am having an endoscopy this week because I suffer from a somewhat severe state of GERD. I was recently started on Protonix, and I feel like I'm having more headaches than usual.

Can my pain be linked to the GERD, or for that matter, my swollen lymph node? I was also diagnosed with intercystular cystitus (Im SURE I murdered that) recently.

I do not smoke, drink, and Ive had one sexual partner my entire life.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat May 13, 2006 2:14 pm

User avatar Hello,

There are many possible causes for breast pain. These can be broken down into causes related to menstruation (cyclical) or noncyclical pain. Although many women with pain in one or both breasts understandably fear breast cancer, breast pain is NOT a common symptom of cancer.

Common causes of cyclical breast pain include:

Some degree of breast tenderness is normal, caused by hormonal fluctuations. They can be a manifestation of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Fibrocystic breast tissue is a common condition. It involves breast lumps and bumps throughout the breast tissue that tend to be more tender just before your menstrual period.

Noncyclical breast pain can be due to hormonal changes other than those of the menstrual cycle. This includes pregnancy (tends to be more common during the first trimester and pregnancy at a young age); puberty (in both girls and boys); breast feeding; approach of menopause (once your menstrual periods have stopped completely, breast tenderness often goes away unless you are taking hormone replacement therapy) and also soon after childbirth, the breasts may become engorged with milk.

Mastitis from a blocked and infected milk duct, usually associated with breastfeeding; alcoholism with liver damage and injury/ trauma to the breast. Certain medications may also cause breast pain, including digitalis preparations, aldomet, aldactone and other potassium-sparing diuretics, anadrol, and chlorpromazine. Shingles can lead to pain felt in the breast if the painful blistering rash appears on the skin over one of your breasts.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here