Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump in my daughters neck

sslccop - Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:15 pm

A couple of days ago, my 9 year old daughter awoke with a stiff neck. She went to school, and as with most stiff necks, it went away. Yesterday, she came home in the evening with an enlarged node on the back of her neck It appears that it is on the muscle that runs down the back of her neck from her head to her back. She is complaining that it is painful to the touch and also that it is painful to move her head. My wife took her to the doctor today, and they said that it is possibly an infection, but she has no fever. The doctor did strees that a follow up appointment is needed in the next couple of weeks.

My wife and the rest of the family are extremely worried about this condition. What if anything can you tell me that will help us to get by. Is there something that we should look for, or somthing that we can do in the mean time that may give us some answers?

Her grandfather died a few years ago of cancer, my Mother in law was recently treated for breast cancer, my father in law has had two bouts with Prostate cancer, and my wife suffers fro systemic lupus.

Can you point us in a good direction? :?:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:04 am

User avatar Dear sslccop,
I am glad you took your daughter to the doctor's. The lymph node that is present in that region is known as the suboccipital lymph node. It drains the scalp and head and is in almost all cases enlarged due to a local infection. Local infection do not usually result in fever.
I would say you do not need to worry, I am pretty sure it will turn out fine. In fact it should start to resolve right away.
Given the limitations of the internet as a diagnostic tool, I cannot stress enough the need to follow up the condition with your doctor.
 sslccop - Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:21 am

Thank you very much. the doctor put her on an antibiotic and an anti inflammitory. The swelling has already started to go down! It is very helpful to be able to get another opinion and some additional encouragement, even if it is over the internet.

Thans again, and we will be foloowing up with her doctor. :)

|