Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump in the right side of my neck

Angel24 - Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:08 am

Hello.
About a year ago I noticed a pea sized lump in the right side of my neck. It is located in the middle of my neck slightly back from my ear. I went to my GP at the time and he told me it was nothing to be concerned about. The lump is now about three times the size it was when I first noticed it and is more oval in shape, it also protrudes from my neck when my head is slightly tilted. (It has never caused me any pain).

My family insisted that I returned to my GP for another cheak up, which I did yesterday and my GP is sending me for a blood test.

I am now a little concerned as to what is might be and that I have left it so long after being told that it is nothing. I was also wondering if a blood test will show up everything I would need to know or should I insist on any further Investigations? Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:13 am

User avatar Hello Angel24,
An increase in nodal size on serial examinations is significant.
I apologize, I do not have sufficient information. Many things need to be taken into account such as your age, if that is the only symptom you have and the only lymph node that is enlarged.
As for the blood test it depends on what the nature of that test was. If it was a CBC then any abnormality could point your doctor in the right direction.
There are many causes of lymph node enlargement of the neck and to exclude these causes is sometimes mind boggling. If the lymph node is of a significant size (>1 cm) then you will need to get down to the bottom of this.
 Angel24 - Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:35 am

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

I am a 24 year old female. And I only have the one enlarged node in the right side of my neck. It is about 2cm in length and 1cm wide. The only other symtoms that I have are sweating and extreme tiredness.
I have waited for my blood results (FBC, ESR, CRP, UREA/ELEC/CREAT) to come back which I am pleased to say that no abnormalties have been detected. (I recieved the results from the GP receptionist over the telephone this AM).
I really have know idea what to do now? The lump is obviously growing and I haven't got a clue as to what it is? Should I book another appoint with my GP? Any suggestions or advice would be grately appreciated.
Many thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:59 am

User avatar Angel,
I am glad that your blood tests came out fine. However, if your lymph node continues to grow then it should undergo reassessment. One possibility to discuss with your doctor is a CT scan of the head and neck.
Please keep us updated.

|