Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: lump on side of neck by jawline please help!!!!!! 911!!!

lsmith0517 - Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:16 pm

Okay so the other day I noticed a painful lump on the left side of my neck right necks to my jaw line like kind of under my chin but to the left side and back a little. when i look down and put my chin to my chest it hurts really bad and like the lump pops out. I am really scared and am going to call the doctors but i know with the holidays i will not be able to get in quick, can anyone please help and tell me what they think it could be and what kind of tests are they going to do to figure it out. I am just freaked out the lump the lump is about the size a little bigger then a nickle and smaller then a quarter please someone help.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:52 pm

User avatar It is a swollen lymph node, probably due to an infection. If you do not already have a cold, you are probably comming down with one. Do not worry just yet. After the holidays are over, if the lump is still there make an appt. with your doctor to have it examined.

First they will put you on an antibiotic to see if that makes it go away, due to infection. if the antibiotics do not help, then they will decide the next course of action.
 lsmith0517 - Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:48 pm

i thought that swollen lymph nodes don't hurt....and is it to big to be a swollen lymph node??? I hope that it is just that but it has me a little scared. A lady at work said it could possibly be a infection from my one tooth i know has a cavity. The thing is though I have to go to my docs cause the other month i had a ovarian cyst and have not had my cycle for two months now and am having lower back pain then my neck started hurting. I do not know if this is all tied in or not.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:12 am

User avatar Hi lsmith0517,
Please confirm the nature of your finding by direct clinical examination by your physician.Palpation is the first step to confirm the presence of a lymph node enalrgement, followed by ultrasonography and CT scan. PET scans have been reported in some studies to yield better results than CT scan but they are very expensive and not always available. Abnormal lymph node enlargement tends to commonly result from infection / immune response, cancer and less commonly due to infiltration of macrophages filled with metabolite deposits (eg, storage disorders).
Infected Lymph nodes however, tend to be firm, tender, enlarged and warm. Inflammation can spread to the overlying skin, causing it to appear reddened.
Lymph nodes harboring malignant disease tend to be firm, non-tender, matted (ie, stuck to each other), fixed (ie, not freely mobile but rather stuck down to underlying tissue), and increase in size over time.
Sometimes, following infection lymph nodes occasionally remain permanently enlarged, though they should be non-tender, small (less the 1 cm), have a rubbery consistency and none of the characteristics described for malignancy or for infection. These are also known as 'Shotty Lymph nodes'. The submandibular lymph nodes are located along the underside of the jaw on either side. They drain the tongue, submaxillary gland, lips and mouth, conjunctivae. Common causes of enlargement include infections of head, neck, sinuses, ears, eyes, scalp, pharynx. Constitutional symptoms such as fever, weight loss, fatigue or night sweats could suggest disorders such as tuberculosis, lymphoma, collagen vascular diseases, unrecognized infection or malignancy. The presence of fever is commonly associated with infections. Your physician may want to evaluate and observe the area over a period of 3-4 weeks or prescribe a course of antibiotics if he/she feels this enlargement iis related to an infection. An increase in nodal size on serial examinations is significant. Have an evaluation by your physician to identify the causative factor.

|