News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Is That A Case Of Lung Cancer

jukhurrum - Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:03 am

My father, aged 53 years, had recently a CT scan. The findings are:

A. Small lymphnodes are noted in superior mediastinum, supra carinal level (0.5-1.0cm in size)
B. Small soft tissue mass in the left lower lobe close to lower bronchus measuring 3.0 X 2.8cm likely to be neoplasm
C. Fibrotic changes associated with consolidation in lefft lower lobe.
[/b]
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:46 am

User avatar Dear Jukhurrum,

The ct scan interpretation is consistent with a lung mass that is most probably a malignant tumour.

A biopsy is needed though to confirm the nature of this mass, if your father does not have any other signs of disseminated malignancy anywhere else (so at that time the biopsy is not needed) and he is fit enough to have it done.

Though, i am not an oncogist, if the mass proves to be malignant, i think treatment will depend on the nature of the cancer itself and whether or not it is disseminated to other organs in the body. It looks that on the ct scan, there could be an indication that there already is lymph node involvement. Your father needs a ct scan of the head and abdomen, if he has not already had them.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 jukhurrum - Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:55 am

today, he is going to have bronchoscopy. will that help finding about the malignancy of the tumor or nature of lymphnodes. what are other indicators ie blood report etc?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:05 pm

User avatar Dear Jukhurrum,

From the ct scan results, the mass is close to the lower bronchus and there is consolidation as well, so, the mass is most probably obstructing the bronchus by protruding into it or at least very close to it, so it is amenable to biopsy by using the bronchoscope, so this is a good step.

Blood tests to test are divided into
1. General:
a. Present in all types of inflammation and malignancy.
b. Examples include erythrocyte sedimentation rate and c-reactive protein.
2. Specific (also sometimes known as tumour markers):
a. Specific cancers produce specific substances in the blood.
b. Examples include psa for prostate cancer.

Regarding lung cancer, i can not really think of a specific tumour marker, but you have to put in mind that i am not an oncologist.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here