News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Colonoscopy prep

aume - Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:53 pm

I am going for my first colonoscopy in 3 weeks and I have purchased my own prep kit because the one the centre is providing is those golytley sachets and every testimonial I have read says they are the worst and that Fleet sphospho-soda is easier to drink. So I went and bought 2 bottles as directed by my pharmisist. Then I called the endoscopy centre to confirm my appointment and they reminded me to pick up my kit but when I told them I was going with the Fleets and not the golytely they said the Fleets wouldn't be enough and that I should still get a sachet of their colon cleaner????

I'm confused, I've read dozens of testimonials and the majority of them used 2 bottles of Fleets with a complete clean out, so why would I need to use an additional product? I think they are just trying to flog their prep kit but I want to be sure because the last thing I want to do is have to go through it all again because they couldn't get a clear viasual of my bowel.

Please help!

:?
 Dr. N. Haider - Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:30 am

User avatar Hi,

I understand your concerns, but as you have very rightly said what is the use if you have to undergo the procedure again due to poor visibility?

The colon needs to be very clear for a good colonoscopy, as even a small amount of waste remaining will affect the results.

This is the reason many centres have their own regimens of colon preparations, which they believe, if properly followed result in complete washing out of the colon.

If I were running the centre, doing 4-5 colonoscopies per day on my preparation, I'd of course know that the preparation I use is working or not.

You should go by the centre's rules.

Najaf Haider MBBS

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here