Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump in arm pit and swelling in breast...

MikeB - Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:49 pm

I'm a 39 yo male, and I recently (3 weeks) had a cyst removed from my right underarm. I've had trouble in this area for about 3-4 years now, but never to the extent of this last time.

The day after the cyst was removed, I noticed a hard lump below the incision. The lump isn't painful, and hasn't grown a whole lot in that time frame. There is also no drainage at all.

I've also noticed swelling in my right breast for about the past 3-4 months. Is there any connection between the two, and should either concern me? And are there any specific questions I should ask my primary care physician about these problems? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:16 pm

User avatar Dear Mike,

The swelling at the incision site could be either a small hematoma (blood collection) or a small seroma (serous fluid collection) either of which is not an unexpected minor complication of any incision. It also could be another smaller cyst that the larger cyst that was removed was covering and got exposed once the bigger cyst was removed.

Regarding the swelling in your right breast, if you have had quite a few surgeries in your arm pit (and you don't mention what kind of trouble you had), this is where the lymphatics of the breast usually drain and they can get interrupted by the multiple surgeries you had and so the lymphatics vessels were cut and the lymphatic fluid is not being drained properly and hence the swelling in your breast (assuming that the swelling is not a localized mass like a tumour).

i guess you should the doctor who took the cyst out and see whether he could like to start you on antibiotics as some of the surgeons would do to prevent this mass (whether it is a hematoma or seroma) from getting infected. In the same time, draw your doctor's attention to your breast swelling.

All this of course assuming that the cysts that were removed have always been benign without any signs of malignancy.

|