Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Knot under husbands left arm

mcdanielrk - Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:22 pm

My husband is 32 years old and has always been in very good health, last year he noticed a small knot under his left arm pit and finally went to the doctor, they told him it was a swollen lymp node and gave him an antibiotic. he never told me until last week but the knot never went away, he is one who does not go to the doc unless it is bad, well he has been complaing with the same arm saying it is aching and feels like he has hit his funny bone and the two end fingers are starting to go numb for a moment or two. well the knot has gotten bigger so we went to the doc on thursday and he said it was definatley something there but it felt like a cyst to him so he sent us for a ct scan of his upper extremities. the ct scan come back saying they seen no cyst but did see a small mass of some sort maybe a lymp node, they said they felt that it needed a biopsy so the next day sent us to a surgeon. we went today for the consultation and took our ct scan pictures and the surgeon come in felt of the knot and said that the knot was normal he said my husband has large lymp nodes which may be true but why would it just come up on one side and with all of these sympoms? he started saying that it was not nothing to do with this knot that the knot was normal and just totally looked over this whole situation and started saying that his problem was neurological and needed a nerve test done, i was arguing saying we wanted a biopsy done and he said he wanted this done first, well the closest appt. that we could get is 3 weeks away and my point is i do not agree with this dr. i am a nursing student and for what little i do know is this does not sound normal, he kept saying that it was my husbands ulnar nerve but for what research that i have done on the ulnar nerve that is not even really associated with his under arm it is more associated with his elbow which he is having no problems with! my question is what does this sound like and should we get a second opinion, i do not want to waste time, we have 2 small children and a life ahead of us and i do not want to loose my best friend i want to do everything i can, my husbands paternal grandmother had lymphoma in her neck lymph nodes and had them removed and chemo and now she is fine, so my other question is does this sound like cancer at all or just some benign mass of some sort?
All the docs around here i feel like i can not trust with my husbands life!
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Sun May 23, 2004 9:17 am

Thanks for your post to The Doctor's Lounge.

I cannot tell you any specific info about the lymph node since I have not examined your husband or seen his films. Given the neurologic symptoms being experienced, it seems reasonable to me to have further evaluation done. The question is what is the next step. If you do not agree with the recommendations from the surgeon or have confidence in him, then getting a second opinion woul dbe in order. Not everything found is a cancer and not everyhting found is biopsied. However, it would be helpful to get another opinion about whether to biopsy the lymph node. One can do such even while seeing a Neurologist. I would condider getting an MRI (unless it has been done already) to see more the anatomy ehre this lymph node is sitting and to see if it is affecting any nearby nerve structures. The ulnar nerve starts high in the arm, as do all nerves in the arms, and thus something high up in the arm can be affecting it and such is felt lower down the pathway of the nerve. This could be one possibility as to the pain or nerve feeling being experienced.
 mcdanielrk - Sun May 23, 2004 8:36 pm

Thanks, so much for replying! We have recently went to the neurologist and had the nerve conduction test done, and it came back normal, the neurologist also done some type of test with his musles, they stuck needles in them and seen his reactions, they also came back normal, so they also agreed that we needed a MRI done, so tommoro morning I am suppose to call and schedule one, so what could it be? I am so blind to this type of stuff, and so scared! The waiting part is the hardest!

|