Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Chronic sore throat on left side

Irec4720 - Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:06 am

I'm 43, Female, newly diagnosed as diabetic with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, underactive thyroid. I had a laparoscopy - pelvic area - over six months ago. I had a slightly sore throat before surgery. It's been chronic and repetitive ever since. It will not clear up. Also, under times of intense stress, twice now - but not recent, all my gums and teeth would set on fire. Pain like I've never felt before. I was prescribed an anti-inflammatory and that would take care of it. I've also noticed dark ridges above the half moons in my finger nails which will not go away. My doctor reluctantly has filled out the paperwork for an eye, ear, nose and throat specialist. He says the specialist will ikely just "send me home". This doesn't sound very intelligent when my doctor has examined my throat several times and seen it's inflamed. Anti-biotics did not work.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:10 pm

Most cases of sore throat are due to viral infection e.g. as part of flu and cold attack. Bacterial infections on the other hand represent a smaller number of cases. Usually there are other associated symptoms and signs that can point to the possible causative agent. Viral induced sore throat usually subsides in week with rest and plenty fluid intake.

Being diabetic, and with hypothyroid function , make you more susceptible to recurrent infections as sore throat.

Experts says that a sore throat that lasts for longer than a week is often caused by allergies, or exposure to humidity, smoking, irritation from heating and cooling systems.

Repeated pharyngitis can also happen seasonally or all year long most commonly due to allergies and in this case usually the allergic individual wake up early in the morning with sore throat.

In some cases it is believed to be due to a postnasal discharge.

If you suffer from recurring sore throats, it's also possible that your toothbrush needs to be changed as it may transmit the infection for you after you have recovered from your first attack.

You better try to avoid exposing yourself to any precipitating factor like cold drinks, smoking etc.

A sore throat that does not improve or repeated with a short period of time should be investigated properly. By complete history and proper examination your physician can evaluate the cause of this recurrent sore throat and recommend treatment.

|