Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen lymph nodes due to wisdom tooth?

Chantal - Thu May 06, 2004 12:19 am

Hi there

I have had a swollen lymph node in my neck on the left side for the past three months. Sometimes I feel swollen glands under my jaw and somtimes feel minor pain into my ear. I have had neck pain on the left side which came with what seemed to be some swelling of the left side of my head, right down the middle. Could all this be caused by an impacted wisdom tooth? I had some dental work done in January which caused me tooth aches for two months after.( had two fillings done and two replaced) My teeth were sensitive to pressure and hot and cold. Now they are fine. After all that dental work, I think it must have encouraged the impacted wisdom tooth to move again because for a week I could not sleep on that side. The tooth is already badly impacted into the root of the molar next to it. I feel no tooth pain now but I am wondering if it caused some kind of an infection which could be causing this gland to stay swollen. The gland is hard and does not move and is not painful. Also, I have lost 10 lbs in the last two months and this is very unusual for me. I haven't gained a pound of it back and it's not for lack of eating. Also, my throat is sore on and off and in the last two weeks, my stools have been very narrow.
Could this have anything to do with stress?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Chantal
 Dr. Russell M - Tue May 25, 2004 12:02 pm

User avatar Hi Chantal!

A neck node and weight loss could be an ominous combination. Have you visited your doctor yet? Any infection can trigger the enlargement of the draining lymph node. Most enlarged lymph nodes are due to inflammations. The occasional villain should not go missing since early detection of certain diseases remain the only path to cure.

I urge you to visit your doctor and get your node examined, if it's still there.

bill
 Chantal - Tue May 25, 2004 12:46 pm

Hi there, thank you for your reply. The swollen lymph node is still there. I have seen my doctor about it and he says it is a reactive lymph node and so he is not worried about it. I still have not gained any weight back but he did some blood tests and since I haven't lost any more weight either, he is not worried about that either. I went to see my dentist and he says he doesn't think it is my wisdom tooth but my jaw on the left side seems to be what is inflamed. My bite hasn't been the same since all that dental work. Do you think that could be causing the swollen lymph node? Wouldn't it eventually go away?

Chantal
 Dr. Russell M - Tue May 25, 2004 4:00 pm

User avatar Hi!

Good to hear that your doctor has been reassuring regarding your problems. Would you know as to which lymphnode has gone big here? Like if it's submandibular or jugular or supraclavicular? Did your doctor aspirate the node with a needle before determining it to be reactive in nature?

As for your dentist's opinion that your jaw is what is inflamed, I wonder if he could figure out if it's the bone or soft tissue (like from a spreading infection from the oral cavity) that is actually inflamed.

Has any of your care-providers prescribed you with medicines?

bill
 Chantal - Thu May 27, 2004 1:48 am

Hi there, thank you for your continued support. The node that is most enlarged is the middle jugular node. The doctor did not aspirate it and I have not seen my dentist again yet to ask him if it's a bone or soft tissue problem. He tried to fix my bite by drilling a little on a tooth for a better 'fit' but it seems to have made the problem worse. The day he did the drilling he said 'If that doesn't work , have the wisdom tooth taken out'. I think the more work and drilling etc he is doing on that side, the more 'off' or out of alignment my jaw is getting. Now the right side is beginning to bother me somewhat. Could my sustained weight loss be due to my body fighting the inflammation? I also have a stomach problem (overactive stomach acid) for which I take Pantoloc. when I lost the weight , it was after I took some anti inflammatories and it really hurt my stomach. It took three weeks for my stomach to feel better. This was around the same time I started having the 'swollen lymph node' and dental problem.

|