Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: breast sensations

inot - Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:55 pm

I am a 49 yof with a history of fybrocystic breasts. My last mammogram was 5 years ago. For the past couple of weeks I have a "burning, cramping" sensation in my left breast mostly around the nipple. Having never heard anything about this feeling, I have no idea what it could mean. Is it a sign of breast cancer? Having no insurance, is it necessary to seek medical attention?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri May 12, 2006 4:33 pm

There are many possible causes for breast sensation, pain or tenderness. These can be broken down into causes related to menstruation (cyclical) or noncyclical pain. Although many women with pain in one or both breasts understandably fear breast cancer, breast pain is NOT a common symptom of cancer.

In your case its absolutely imperative that you seek medical attention for the purpose of breast cancer screening.