Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Small lump under jaw

xenoxaos - Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:06 am

For the past several months, I've had a small lump under my neck. It is located the soft spot, just behind the chin, just beneath the skin. Several months ago, I had an ingrown hair in this location and as a bad habit, I picked at it. It felt like a boil underneath the skin, and hurt just the same. Since then, it has healed completely, but the lump is still there. I haven't thought much of it, thinking it was probably a swollen lymph node (I had a break out of canker sores, and the ingrown hair got infected too). It's right about the place for the submental lymph node. The lump is fairly hard, moves around slightly (connected to something), and kind of feels like a ganglion cyst I had on my wrist. I've had this for at least two months and am starting to wonder what I should do, either wait it out or see my campus doctor.
Mike
22, Male,
Mediactions: Adderall
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:49 am

The submental lymph node is located just below the chin. It drains the lower lip, floor of mouth, teeth, submental salivary gland, tip of tongue, skin of cheek. Common causes of enlargement include mononucleosis syndromes, Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus, toxoplasmosis, dental pathology such as periodontitis.

Sometimes, following infection lymph nodes occasionally remain permanently enlarged, though they should be non-tender, small (less the 1 cm), have a rubbery consistency and none of the characteristics described for malignancy or for infection. These are also known as 'Shotty Lymph nodes'.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter.

An increase in nodal size on serial examinations is significant. Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are important and those that regress in size tend to be more reassuring.

If your nodes remain less than 1cm in size and no other symptoms arise you are safe. If you are concerned or anything new should arise you should contact your physician.

|