News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrine Cancers

Question: Heredity and Thyroid Cancer

JMcC - Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:49 am

I am 56, female, Caucasian. I share some physiological characteristics with my mother who died at the age of 56 in 1969 of cancer -- primary in the thyroid gland, secondary encephalitis and heart tumor. First manifestation was cloudy vision.
My mother had acute appendicitis at age 15, as did I. She had recurrent bursitis in her left elbow, bursa pad removed at age 23. So did I. She suffered from depression and anxiety, as do I. I enjoy the benefits of modern drugs, and take Celepram (hydrobromide) 20 mg daily. My general figure type is like my mother's -- tendency to overweight, hourglass figure.
However, I am unlike my mother in colouring (I am blonde, blue-eyed, very fair, she was dark, green-eyed) And I suffer from severe reactive hypoglycaemia (GTT tests, doctor diagnosed) and my mother had no blood sugar problems. My father was the blonde and an insulin dependent Type I diabetic.
Also unlike my mother, I had glomerular nephritis at age 21 (fully recovered), a hysterectomy at age 43 (large fibroids -- only the uterus removed) I'm not sure if I'm menopausal ... If I am, I'm having an easy time of it. My mother was very late going into menopause, but suffered badly.
I feel well. I have low blood pressure. I am reasonably fit, have a full time job, exercise regularly. eat well, take some vitamins.
My question is whether I should be checked for any problem in the thyroid gland at this point given my family history. Is there any test available that would detect cancer in its early stages?
I am not overly concerned, but I want to feel I am doing everything I can in the way of prevention.
Thank-you very much for your time and concern,
JMcC
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:14 am

User avatar Hi JMcC,
Risks for certain types of malignancies are increased when there is a familial history of such disorders. Regular physical evaluations will assist your physician in identifying any abnormalities. He/she will palpate (feel) your thyroid gland to identify any abnormalities in size, nodules, etc. Lab studies to evaluate thyroid function may also be included. Be sure your physician is aware that you have a family history of this disorder.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here