Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Benign Lymph Nodes???

Madeepooh - Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:09 pm

Hello: I have a 2 1/2 year old son. He has a dime sized lump on his right side of the neck with a few other smaller pea sized ones. A ENT doc. checked them a few wks ago and claims they are benign. Nothing to worry about. He just had his tonsils and adenoids removed on feb. 17th.2006 The dime sized lump on his neck seems to be larger now. Back then it was the size of a small bean when the doctor checked it but now its the size (to me) of a dime. It doesnt seem to be painful, or red. I am very concerned because his doctor keeps telling me its due to his cold/coogh. To me its like if he has a cough every other weekend or few weeks. No fevers with the cols just congestion and ear infection right after the surgery. Can some one pls help to define what this may be. I am very concerned and worried!!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:56 am

User avatar Hi Madeepooh,
A physician can evaluate the texture or consistency of a lymph node and discern whether it feels related to a benign or malignant process. Lymph nodes related to an infectious or inflammatory process may wax and wane and not return to the size of a pre-infectious state. Essentially, sometimes, following infection lymph nodes occasionally remain permanently enlarged, though they should be non-tender, small (less the 1 cm), have a rubbery consistency and none of the characteristics described for malignancy or for infection. These are also known as 'Shotty Lymph nodes'. Lymph nodes that do not decrease in size and continue to enlarge despite treatment with anitbiotics etc., are more suspicious in nature. An increase in nodal size on serial examinations is significant. If your child has had evaluations, no constitutional symptoms, ie, significant weight loss, night sweats, fatigue, etc., are present, with the above mentioned waxing and waning in size, verses consistent enlargement, in my opinion, I would be inclined to consider that the symptom is most likely related to the recurrent infections and is a benign process. Keep in mind that the lymphatic system is designed as a filter for bacterial/viral infections and mild enlargement typically means that the body is functioning appropriately. If you remain concerned however, have a physician's evaluation.
 Madeepooh - Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:20 am

Thank you very much Ms.Jones.
It does seem larger now than because due to the fact that he does have a bad cough. I will continue to watch.

I appreciate it.

Madeepooh

|