News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   
 

 Headlines:

 
 

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Scared to death..child's symps leuk/lymph--please help


 Belbot - Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:48 pm

Any info or advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.
This is in regards to my 5 year old son.

About 4 months ago I noticed a swollen lymph node on my son's neck, one down by the jugular area not under chin. Doctors examined and treated with ABX. No change so he went to see the ENT. ENT described it as slightly larger than 1cm, non-tender, moveable, soft. He also said tonsils were large, about a 3-3 1/2 on the 1-4 scale. The ENT also tried another round of stronger antibiotics. No effect either. Did CBC and got normal results except for slightly elevated eosiniphils. Doctor decided to follow up again in 6 months, citing we were waiting to see if he would get any sore throats to decide if tonsils needed to come out. We had a sudden change of plans and are supposed to be moving March 2. So we scheduled the appointment to check up on it early. At the time he went he was ill (tonsils very large with white spots on them) and doctor scheduled surgery for 7 days before moving. He ordered another CBC to be done 7 days after he started his ABX to treat the tonsil infection (Omnicef). The past weekend (4 days before surgery) he came down with a high fever 104.0 , upset stomach, slight cough and clear runny nose and his sister had similar symptoms two days prior. Surgery was cancelled. A few days ago I noticed that he had another enlarged gland on the opposite side of his neck, near his ear. We got the CBC done, and docs office called to say the doc wanted to discuss the results. I panicked and told them I could not wait the whole weekend to find out if something serious was going on, and that I needed to know if he has labs that warrented further investigation because we were supposed to be moving 2 days after his next doc appointment and if we had to rearrange plans, I needed to know in advance. She assured me that if the labs showed anything serious that she would tell me, and that she would call back if the doctor thought it was anything that needed us to stay in town for following. I didn't get a call back but that really hasn't set my heart at ease.

Some other symptoms I've noticed is a fever occasionally at night (only after this last sickness though, not prior---noticed a fever two days after the fever from being sick was gone) and for three days after he fell ill, he was extremely sleepy. Would go to bed 10pm, wake 7am, nap 10:30am wake 1pm nap 4pm, wake 6pm back to bed at 10pm. Sleepiness has since ceased for last 3 days. He has had a nighttime cough as well, since being sick, and than for about 3 weeks prior to falling ill. He is constantly getting colds, URI.

I am scared to death, and honestly upset that the doctor wouldn't give me the lab results so I didn't have to sit and speculate all weekend. What kind of follow up would typically be advised with such symptoms?? Should he be getting these biopsied?? And what type of elevated labs raise suspicion of something more serious than typical illnesses kids get???

Medical history is: Left Hydronephrosis, has gotten 4 surgeries for that : Pyeloplasty, drain placement for complications, double j stent for conplications, than complete pyeloplasty, retrograde, stent, and drain for last surgery due to the complications from scar tissue and subsequent worsening of the blockage in his kidney.
Family history: Mother-Gilbert's syndrome Father-sleep apnea
On father's side of family are multiple cancers: Grandfather has possible lung CA, Great-GF died of lung CA, asbestosis?, had melenoma as well. Uncle also has Lung CA, great aunt Lung CA.

Currently on OMNICEF.

Please give any information or advice you can, I would appreciate it greatly and thank you in advance.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:28 am

User avatar Hello,

I see no cause for concern. The symptoms you describe, including the lymph node enlargement, are consistent with the tonsilitis he presents with.

The blood picture should ease your mind concerning the possibility of something serious such as leukemia. Leukemia and lymphoma are both conditions that would manifest themselves very quickly both clinically and on investigation.

If your son's blood count shows any abnormalities you may wish to consult a pediatric hematologist.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

 

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)
 

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

 
     

 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

 

 

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

 
Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here