Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: painful scalp after dental procedure

PavelKrejci - Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:38 pm

Hi - I am 31years old male, no previous serious illnesses and no history of such in my family. I can say I felt depressed a lot for some time after the sudden death of my father in summer 2005. I did not see doctor for this and it went away slowly. Not taking any medications.

I have been to a dentist for deep cleaning of both lower and upper teeth on right side only. I had one-half of my mouth anesthesized for the procedure. Two days after, I developed (presumably) some infection, had painful gums and lymph node on right side of my neck. I have also developed very strange and quite intensive pain in the skin on right half on my head. The pain was sharp, triggered by touching the skin, sometimes cramping suddenly without any stimulus. I felt it on right side of the face, forehead and a little on the upper half of the back of the head. I had very painful hair too. It stayed for two days and than went away.

Three weeks after - I went for the deep cleaning of the left side of my mouth - the same procedure as for the right side. Precisely two days after I developed the same symptoms as the first time except this time on the left half of the head. Painful gums and lymphnode. The pain in the skin involved only ear, fore head and top of the back of the head (no face) but it was quite a pain. I could not touch my hair since the pain that caused almost made me cry. Often I had sudden onsets of it (2-3sec long) without apparent trigger. The chewing on the left side was nearly impossible due to the pain in ear and in the area where the jaw joint is. The whole thing lasted for 48 hours and was only partially responsive to 800mg tylenol/8hours.

This pain I describe feels quite different than regular headache. I suffer from these. Had two quite intensive one day headaches since begining of 2006. I attribute these to stress.

I remember now that I'd sometimes have painful scalp/hair on one side of head but not as intensive as these two recent events.

I'd very appreciate any advice on what this might be and what I am supposed to do - I am afraid that painful hair would signal to my primary that I am a waste of his time.

Thanks Pavel
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:53 pm

Dear PavelKrejci,

I appologies for the very late reply,I've been on a long vacation and my Professors and Colleagues on the website have been doing agreat job keeping up with the enormous amounts of daily posts. Thankyou for using our site and I hope I will be of help to you.

Regarding your condition, Does your hair hurts the most on combing it, or it hurts all the time?! is it at the fron of your scalp or all over your scalp!? and you are neither diabetic nor hypertensive,right?

If you do a random blood sugar test and a lipid profile,and something like ESR, we can attribute your headaches to something called temporal/giant cell arteritis. Its treatment is corticosteroids but the only definative confirmation of the disease is a biopsy,but let's not jump into conclusions before we underline what we have first.

temporal arteritis can present with attacks of headaches(moderate to severe),jaw claudications(pain in the muscles of mastication),arthritis,etc since it can be categorized as an autoimmune disease.But at the end of the day it can be controlled. I don't think it is related to a brain tumor though. If you have a family history of cancer and you want to do a CT scan of the brain with contrast that is fine,but not necessarily unless you are at risk.

|