Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: bump behind ear....:(

wrecko - Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:54 am

ok i just turned 30, im male. alomost 12 months ago i noticed a bumper behind my ear, from out of nowhere it popped up. I didnt notice till a friend mentioned it. There was no pain assosiated with it.

what seemed wierd was it didnt seem to be attached to anything, it was the size of a pea, and i could "pinch" underneth it as if it was JUST below the skin. IT was perfectly spherical, and seemed to be just under the surface of the skin, i could pinch it and lift it off the underlying skin. It was located at the bottom level of my ear lobe, about 3/4 dirctly behind it(basically right over and JUST behind that soft spot behind my earlobe) Anyways, i let it go for about 9 months, worried sometimes and not others, i had no previous infections, and had no ill side effects whatsoever, no itching, no wieght loss, infact i gained weight, no noticable fatigue other then when working long hours. Well after about 9 months... I was too scared to go to the dr's and fet up with it being there, i started messing with it one night, pinchin at it and manipulating it, then finally, it became sore! in the matter of the next 2 days it swelled up and got horribly infected, (note it had NEVER been sore or infected before) it sweeled up to the size of a walnut in the matter of 24 hours, obviously infected now i was worried, so i was gonna head to the dr, and i jumped in the shower and it had sweeled so quickly the skin had become dry and cracked, it popped while i was showering! looked to be a bit of blood in there with some water..I was pretty exicted! AS popping it had flatted it out 100%!!! it was gone, in the matter of the next week, the lil scar from where the skin was cut open was the only noticable thing there.
Enter today, 3 months later with no signs of anything...i look in the mirror and i see something again!!! only this time its about the size of a BB, no bigger, same characteristics, i can lift it off and move it around.

Question obviously is...does this thing seem like a lympnoid? If so, could i manipulate it as i explained? I understand the nodes are close to the skin, but this felt like it was JUST under the skin, like no more then a pimple. Also, if it was a node, and it popped like it did, why would it reoccur exactly the same spot? Wouldnt that node be scared and dead now if you will?
So to summurize, could this be a cancer, if so, why after a year do i hyave no symptoms other then the lump and hpow the heck if it or was a tumor, how does it pop!?

any input will be greatly appreciated!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:24 am

User avatar Hi wrecko,
Lymph nodes do not have characteristics of opening and drainage. Characteristics of cystic lesions as a result of, for example acne, or an abcess resulting from an infected hair follicle, etc., would have charecteristics of pus, bloody drainage etc. I would suggest an evaluation to identify the causative factor but in my opinion it would not be related to a lymph node.
 wrecko - Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:53 am

Thank you for your fast reply!!!! That puts my mind at ease quite a bit!

I just get very worried because i am a freak about checking my lymphnodes since my mom was DXed with NHL 3 years ago.

|