Forum Name: Pancreatic Cancer

Question: Upper Abdominal discomfort and Bad back pain

airmazzi - Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:55 am

I'm a 35 year old hard drinking male who recently gave up chewing Tobacco 20 hours a day after 14 years.I have had a weird abdominal discomfort for about 8 months but has gotten worse in the last 3.It started at my belly button and has went to my upper left abdomin.I have stomach spasms like a hiccup about 10 times a day and my stomach makes weird noises.My Gas is more frequent and smells really bad.My back pain is centered right in the middle of my back and goes into my shoulder blades and it has been killing me.Have a hard time standing straight up.I went from 199 to 185 pounds in 1 month and have been holding at 185 for the last 2 (bed at 190 wake up at 185?????).I eat normally but don't gain anything.The Dr has done a Upper Endoscopy with biopsies which were normal.An Abdominal CT Scan normall and compared with one 11 years ago looked the same the Dr told me.Small Bowell series where I drank some liquid and they took various XRays Normall.CBC,Liver Function,and Pancreatic Blood Test Amylases and Lipase all were normal.The Gastro Dr I last went told me they have done everything they can do and if I go to the Mayo Clinic they'll tell me the same.I asked about Pancreatic Cancer Due to my upper left abdominal pain,upper back pain and weight loss.He told me no I don't have that, gave me Nexium and sent me on my way.My Father is a Pediatric Dr and tells me it's in my head.So I asked the refering Dr for a second opinion and I have an appointment in a month hopefully sooner with other Gastro Dr.What can I do to get somebody to listen?I want to rule out Pancreatic cancer because that means death in under a year.I've allways been paranoid about my health but I'm in pain here.I just want to know what to say to the Dr to get them to find out what's wrong.Thanks for any suggestions
Mazzi
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:43 am

User avatar Hi airmazzi,
Pancreatic cancer, generally speaking, not only causes abdominal and back pain but also causes significant weight loss, nausea, vomiting, jaundice etc. Abnormalities would be identified with physical evaluation, along with lab studies and imaging. In my opinion, based on symptoms that you have described, my impression would be that pancreatic cancer is unlikely the causative factor. Here is a link for you to view.
Click here!

|