News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Neck Pain and more

JenO - Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:09 pm

I am a 31/f and I have been having severe neck pain and shoulder pain. I went to the doc on Tuesday and told him of the pain which I thought was caused from all of the extra computer work I have been doing and not using good posture. He took 5 xrays and said the disk space looked good. Gave me a muscle relaxer and a narcotic and said if not better in 5 days to come back in. Also, I had told him I was having constant dull pain in my left arm (which had been previously operated on). I do not seem to feel better and actually notice my left side of my neck to be very sore with the left ear having pain from time to time. My left arm pain is still there and is starting to feel tingly. I am also now paranoid that my arm may be swelling some and can't tell if my left side of neck is swollen in comparison to the right or not. Can you feel cancer? What could this be?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:06 pm

User avatar Dear JenO,

In most of the cases with neck, shoulder and back pain, strain of the back muscles and ligaments, is the primary cause.
This usually results from wrong , sustained positions or following a sudden improper movement.

Muscle spasm alone can cause severe pain which can be of an unidentified cause.

In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, hot therapy and physiotherapy.
Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

If these measures fail to relief the pain or to improve symptoms in 48 hours, or if the pain is associated with numbness , weakness, the pain is more likely to be due to other causes, like:
Herniated disk, in which the intervertebral disc press on his nerves,
Spondylosis which is similar to arthritis but affects the spine etc

You mentioned that the X- ray imagine showed no changes. MRI is of choice in the diagnosis of these cases.

These are conditions that need specific therapy.

My advice is to follow up your doctor and to consult your him for further investigations like MRI.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here