News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: question of tongue ulcer or possibility cancer

soni123 - Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:38 am

I am worried and this question is about my Mom.
She has had a small ulcer-like growth on her tongue. This growth becomew very painful at times and it becomes difficult for her to eat/swallow food and talk properly. She has had numerous treatments like allopathy, homeopathy but it has been of no help. The last treatment allopathic treatment performed had the following diagnosis "history reveals granulation tissue and a tiny fragment of dysplastic epithelium with no evidence of malignancy in a biopsy". This report is 2 years old. Can this become malignant in the future.

The history of the growth dates to approximately 5 years. Numerous treatments later, the diagnosis mentions the case as tongue ulcer. The above diagnosis are a result of biopsy done on the tongue growth.

[b]Details[/b]
[list]58 yrs old
her mom had stomach cancer
had no surgeries performed in her lifetime
was treated in the past for some back injury which was due to a fall
[/list]

will appreciate any advise.
Many Thanks!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:46 am

User avatar Hi soni123,
Tongue ulcers can develop for a variety of reasons, for example, dental problems, dietary defieciencies, (B12, folate), autoimmune diseases, etc., including malignancy. "Dysplastic" essentially means abnormal cell growth. If she has not had a repeat biopsy or evaluation in a two year time period I would strongly encourage her to do so. I would also encourage inquiry about labwork to identify dietary deficiencies as well as any other underlying disorders.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 soni123 - Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:06 am

hi Theresa,

First of all let me Thank You for the instant reply and my apologies for not responding accordingly. I just got too tied up with my work and forgot what my priorities are.
When i wrote about the biopsy performed 2 yrs back....i forgot to mention that the small white patch like growth is consistent and it neither grows in size nor diminishes. Also, she needs to eat mints/mouth fresheners as she always has foul smell from her mouth. Like you said, this could be more of a dental problem. If its a dietary issue, could this be problematic in the future?
I will follow your advise and definitely ask her to have another biopsy performed and follow up on the results.

once again,
Thanks for responding!!
 rjshprabhakar - Sun May 21, 2006 10:11 am

Dear soni,
Hi, well as u know tongue ulcers are due to many causes like dietary defeciency, dental problems,systemic diseases, local malignancy,granulomatious conditions like tuberculosis which is common in south asia.But i would recommend u a repeat biopsy from a good pathologist and a dental consultation.
yours sincerely
Dr rajesh Prabhakar

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here