Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Tonsils & Lypmh node removal a year ago, but its back!

SarahAnne - Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:19 pm

I originally posted about a year ago. I'm 25 year old female & I had my tonsils out & a node removed & biopsied about a year ago. The diagnosis on the lymph node was a "hardened salivary gland". It was about 3 X 4 cm. I have many more of them in my neck. And, I have seemed to "regrow" the one he removed. It is even bigger than before. Should I go back to the dr. or am I maybe some sort of freak that just grows really large lymph nodes? Has there ever been a case of having a negative biopsy, then having it grow back or turn into cancer?!? Or what else could be going on? Blood tests last year were all fine, tried weeks of antibiotics, etc. Here's the other thing that I'm not sure has anything to do with my lymph nodes: i'm noticed I have a lot of muscle cramping lately. My legs, feet, back,etc. I've been drinking tons of water thinking at first I might just be dehydrated. Its been going on for about a month. Maybe I'm just crazy, I don't know.....

Any ideas or advice?!?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:11 am

User avatar Hi SarahAnne

It would be advisable to seek medical attention for this as it could be unrelated to the original problem. The chances that this is cancer in a person of your age are slim but serious enough to warrant a visit to the doctor.

Kind regards.
 SarahAnne - Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:44 pm

Thanks for your response. Do you have any ideas why I'd have these huge lymph nodes? When the dr. removed the one for biopsy, he said it shouldn't come back. Like I said before, its now back & larger than before. Thanks in advance.
 SarahAnne - Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:23 pm

One more thing. I've noticed that my lymph nodes ache after I drink alcohol. Thanks for you thoughts!!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:38 pm

User avatar Hello SarahAnne,
Actually there are many causes of enlarged lymph nodes. Inflammatory causes are much more common than cancer. However, due to the dangerous nature of cancer you shouldn't take any risks. Please have it checked out as soon as possible.

I have no idea why you experience an ache after alcohol intake.

Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:08 am

User avatar Hi SarahAnne,
I hope that you have followed the advice of Dr. Tamer in having an evaluation. In a small percentage (approximately 10%) of people that have pain specifically at lymph node sites after ingestion of alcohol is significantly specific for Hodgkin Disease. Keep in mind that I am not implying this is the cause for your symptoms etc. but it has been documented in literature. You may view the link below and please follow the advice of Dr. Tamer and have an evaluation to identify the causative factor.
Click here!
 SarahAnne - Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:09 pm

Wow. Thanks so much for your responses!!! I have an appt. scheduled to see my ENT on April 10. Should I request another biopsy or just see what he has to say?

Again, thank you for taking the time to read my posts & for your response!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:09 pm

User avatar Hi SarahAnne,
Wait and see the response of your ENT during your evaluation. I am sure that if the area is in any way suspicious he will mention a biopsy before you have the opportunity. However, do make sure before you leave there is an inquiry about the procedure. Be sure to mention all of your symptoms as well. We would appreciate an update when your time permits. Best wishes.
 SarahAnne - Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:24 am

Thanks again for your response.

I have another question for you (it might sound kind of dumb).

The lymph nodes that I've had have all been on the sides to front of my neck. Do you have lypmh nodes in the back of your neck. Or I guess I mean, do the lymph nodes in the back of your neck get lymphoma? I'm not jumping to conclusions saying I have lymphoma, but I've noticed some nodes in the back part of my neck ( like I said, before they were on the sides or the front part of my neck). I didn't know if lymphoma tended to stick to one part of the neck or if it was common to go to the back part of my neck. The ones in the back part of my neck are new. They weren't here a year ago when I had my tonsillectomy & lymph node removal.

I truly appreciate all you advice. It really helps to calm my nerves.
 SarahAnne - Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:27 am

I'm sorry, one more question:

When he removed my lymph node last year he said it was a "hardened salivary gland". Have you ever heard of that? If you have what is it & where does it come from. And, would all of these lypmh nodes be "hardened salivary glands". Also, why would it grow back so fast & so big?!?

Sorry for so many questions, but I have many questions & don't go to the dr. for another week and a half. I also want to have some general knowledge before I go see him. Thanks again!!!!

Sarah

|