News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: Ovarian symptoms?

Kay4 - Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:47 pm

About a little over a month ago my belly suddenly started getting bloated and i felt menstrual like cramping, and dull ach in pelvic area, especially on right side, sometimes dull ach is felt down my right leg as well. I also started having to urinate all the time. And became very tired. Last week after my symptoms didnt go away after my period, and my belly kept growing I went to my regular Dr. She did pap smear and exam, she said she couldn't find my ovaries? And she thought maybe I have IBS, but she said it shouldnt make my belly keep growing, and make me have to urinate a lot. She told me to measure my belly once a week for a month and if it grew 5cmm in a month i need ultrasound. But its now grown one inch in one week- so seems like alot. I'm a small perosn and always had no stomach at all- until this sudden bloating started a month ago. Over last 8 months I also occasionally have bouts of diarehha, and gas pains. But that hasnt happened in several months- I look 5 months pregnant, and its happened so suddenly. should I be concerened with Ovarian cancer? Could an ovarian cyst cause these symptoms as well? And I'm wondering why she wasn't able to feel my ovaries? THANK YOU!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:34 am

User avatar Hi Kay4,
Your age? Risks of certain types of cancer tend to increase with age. Some of the signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer may mimic other digestive disorders. The key to remember is digestive disorder symptoms tend to come and go while underlying disorders such as symptoms associated with ovarian cancer tend to persist and worsen. Abdominal bloating, fullness, etc. which persists or worsens, increased abdominal size, frequent or urgent urination, pelvic discomfort or pain, changes in bowel habits, persistent indigestion or gas, unexplained weight loss or gain, fatigue, etc. would all be considered warning signs. I would suggest that you call your physician back, explain that you have had an increase as you have stated, so that some diagnostic studies can be completed especially considering these may take a little time to become scheduled.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 Kay4 - Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:49 pm

Thanks Theresa for your quick reply!

I'm 32, so fairly young. I will call my Dr today- my belly has grown another 1/2 inch since I last posted. And I have to urinate 5 to 6 times in one hour! All day long! I also have been getting shooting pains in pelvis area, down real low. Dr checked for bladder infection last week and said no. I also feel full all the time, and when I do eat I can only eat small amounts becausse I get full so fast. So something is definitly going on, I hope she will order ultrasound after I tell her these things! Especially since my belly is growing so quickly.

Thank you again!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here