News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lumps in my body...

katsusand - Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:49 am

Hi..I am 16 Years Old male

I am feeling pain in my body especialy in the armpit , near breast , groin , neck .... when i went to my doctor he said it was inflamtion .... and he said it will go away in few days...now about 2 months and feeling the same pain PLUS about 3 lumps in my neck (( in the right side and also it is near the back of the neck)

some are shaped like a weapon bulliet and some like sasuge and some like the pea ....it is about 1 cm overall ... anyway I notice less than pea size lumps between my breast and armpit ((left side)) and I wonder if I can normaly feel them even if it is not swelling (( I am not skinny))... i also have some kind of shortnees of breath and discomfort in the lower abdomen But maybe it is from the IBS i have

Yesterday.. when I went outside my home in the night .. I felt some sweating in my back could this be night sweats !!?

Please answer this :

1- give me you opinion on my case
2- does lymphoma appear in normal blood tests?
3-can I feel non-swollen lymph nodes ?
4- what do you think I am experinceing ?
5-please reply even if you don't know anything

I called my doctor but he was on vacation and I'cant go to him until 20 days....

Please Help .............

Peace..........
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:17 am

User avatar Hi katsusand,
Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter; however, some authors suggest that epitrochlear nodes larger than 0.5 cm or inguinal nodes larger than 1.5 cm should be considered abnormal [1,2]. Sometimes, following infection lymph nodes occasionally remain permanently enlarged, though they should be non-tender, small (less the 1 cm), have a rubbery consistency and none of the characteristics described for malignancy or for infection. These are also known as 'Shotty Lymph nodes'. The body has approximately 600 lymph nodes, but only those in the submandibular, axillary or inguinal regions may normally be palpable in healthy people [3]. Stony-hard nodes are typically a sign of cancer, usually metastatic. Very firm, rubbery nodes suggest lymphoma. Softer nodes are the result of infections or inflammatory conditions. Suppurant nodes may be fluctuant. The term "shotty" again, refers to small nodes that feel like buckshot under the skin, as found in the cervical nodes of children with viral illnesses. Constitutional symptoms such as fever, weight loss, fatigue or night sweats could suggest disorders such as tuberculosis, lymphoma, collagen vascular diseases, unrecognized infection or malignancy. The presence of fever is commonly associated with infections. Night sweats, the description I can give, is waking up in the middle of the night with your clothes or bedding soaked. Of course an evaluation by your physician is warranted if you are still experiencing symptoms. An increase in nodal size on serial examinations is a significant finding.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

References:
===========
1. Libman H. Generalized lymphadenopathy. J Gen Intern Med 1987;2:48-58.
2. Morland B. Lymphadenopathy. Arch Dis Child 1995; 73:476-9.
3. Goroll AH, May LA, Mulley AG Jr. Primary care medicine: office evaluation and management of the adult patient. 2d ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1987.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here