News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Peau de orange & ibc

shortie_1318 - Tue May 16, 2006 11:09 pm

I am kinda confused about "peau de orange" texture, what exactly is it? does it look like clogged pores or is it lunps in the skin?

also, when they say that inflammatory breast cancer is a redness of the skin, what do they mean by that? what does it look like?

I would ask my doctor but I can't get in to see him for a couple weeks. I don't actually have these symptoms but I was jsut wondering what exactly they looked like?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed May 17, 2006 7:58 am

User avatar Hello,

"Peau d'orange" as you probably already know is a French term that means "orange skin". Its very discriptive since the skin of the breast in these cases actually looks very similar to the outer layer of an orange that is pealed off. The pores are accentuated forming deep pits in the skin that are like orange skin.

Inflammatory breast cancer is diagnosed on pathological grounds, however, clinically the breast is inflammed. clinically what causes a physician to suspect that this could be inflammatory breast cancer is that the condition doesn't resolve or subside on administration of proper antibiotics.

Best regards
 shortie_1318 - Fri May 19, 2006 12:25 am

Just another question, what does eczema look like on the breast? I have eczema and I've been told that it looks kinda like little skin cracks underneith the immediate layer of skin, so not right on the skin, more below it?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri May 19, 2006 2:33 am

User avatar Hello,

If you click on the following link: Eczema, you will see a brief description and a photograph of what eczema generally looks like. I strongly recommend that you have your condition checked out by your physician.

Please keep us updated.

Best regards.
 shortie_1318 - Fri May 19, 2006 12:13 pm

Would it be safe to see a walk-in doctor? because I can't see mine for a couple weeks and now you have me worried
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri May 19, 2006 3:45 pm

User avatar Hello,

I apologize for having worried you. I really hope it turns out to be nothing at all but I would feel much comfortable knowing a doctor has examined you. I think its a good idea to see a walk-in doctor. If your problem persists for a couple of weeks then you can have your original doctor check it out.

Best regards and good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here