Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: Lymphs elevated on 3 consecutive labs

dmamacher - Sun May 28, 2006 5:37 am

Background: I'm a 48 year old female. With a history of gastric stapling. I know of no family member who has experienced the issues I'm positing.

I've had a variety of issues over the last 3 years that have remained unexplained. To name a few, I had severe idiopahic chronic urticaria which was treated with levels as high as 45 of prednisone for over one year. They recently resolved as mysteriously as they came. I also have Hyperhomocysteine Anemia due to spontaneous mutation of a gene, 2 Mini Strokes, sudden painful loss of infraspinatus and supraspinatus (now resolved) and a variety of neurological complaints. My D-Dimer was high on one test but it has not been repeated. I had an ultrasound of my legs and a chest CT but no clots were found. I've also been told I do not have pernicious anemia.

I was referred to the Mayo Clinic and the only issue they could readily identify was the blood work , Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. My Lymphs have been elevated, taken over a 3 month period at different labs (53.5%, 50% and 50%.) On the last test, my MPV was a little low 7.4 with a 7.8 low reference range, although the platelet count was 285. We could not determine that my spleen was enlarged although I do have twinges of pain in that area after eating. My ESR and CRP has been elevated in all blood tests over the last several years.

I'm experiencing a lot of pain in all joints and difficulty walking. I understand this is not a likely symptom with CLL. The pain has greatly impacted my day to day activities and I've had to use a cane for the last 3 months. This has cost me my job and more devastating, my insurance. I have another couple of weeks before the blood test is repeated. If the Abs Lymphs are still high, they will perform a bone marrow biopsy.

My question is.... does any of this seem to fit? Could the hyperhomocysteine anemia account for the other changes I'm now seeing in my bloodwork? I started taking Foltx again but I see no changes in the pain or improvement in my ability to move. Waiting is just a terrible thing to endure when the symptoms I have are so debilitating. Especially when I don't know if they are even connected. I may be waiting for a diagnosis but not one that will aid in resolving the pain.

I would appreciate your insight.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:39 am

User avatar Hi dmamacher,
Elevations in ESR and CRP may be directly related to CLL as levels in these diagnostics may be elevated in malignancies, and of course certain other conditions as well. Bone and joint pain may also be directly related to CLL. Below is a weblink for you to view if you would care to do so.
leukemia/DS00565/DSECTION=2" class="postlink">Click here!
I certainly hope you are being followed by a Hematologist/Oncologist. Best wishes!

|