Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: Lump on testicle

cold_ice - Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:59 pm

About 6 month ago I found a small lump on my testicle. It hasn't gorwn or shrinked and feels kind of flat (like a seed and doesn't exceed the size of a seed either) it feels more like a pimple maybe slightly bigger. It's located very close to the epipydimis but am not sure if it is attached and it lies about halfway down the testicle (along the epipydimis as I said) I was wondering if it could be a cyst even if it doesn't looked attached to the epipydimis and it hasn't grown or does this soun like cancer. The lump doesn't seem to hard by the way.

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:32 am

The testes can swell for many reasons. Possible causes include cancer, testicular torsion, inguinal hernia, epididymitis, hydrocele, and varicocele. Other causes are far less common in adults. These include lymphedema, mumps and a spermatocele.

Testicular cancer is a rare cancer but is curable if caught early. The risk factors for cancer of the testicles include:

1. Age: Testicular cancer can occur at any age, but most often occurs in men between the ages of 15 and 40.
2. Undescended testicle (cryptorchidism): This is a condition in which the testicles do not descend from the abdomen, where they are located during development, to the scrotum shortly before birth. This condition is a major risk factor for testicular cancer developing in both the nondescended and the contralateral descended testes.
3. Family history: A family history of testicular cancer increases the risk.
4. Race and ethnicity: The risk for testicular cancer in Caucasian men is more than five times that of African-American men and more than double that of Asian-American men.

There would be no way of telling without a direct examination.

|