News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Paratracheal lymph node enlargement

pt_i_am - Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:14 pm

I am 40 years old who had an anaphylaxis reaction to Remicade after several years of useage for Crohn's Disease. My lungs were very badly affected, although we don't know the exact diagnosis. I found out by accident that I have a 2 cm paratracheal lymph node on the right side. I know that Remicade has a higher incidence of lymphoma with useage. Can you please tell me the other diagnosis besides lymphoma or sarcoidosis that would cause the lymph node to be enlarged. My arm pits hurt quite a bit and sometimes I have groin pain due to painful lymph nodes which I guess would be a good sign since cancerous lymph nodes are not tender normally.

I am on 40 mg of prednisone a day and have been on it since January at that dose and basically been on it since last June. I am getting a new CT scan tomorrow and I finally got a ENT to send me to a CT surgeon for a biopsy. My pulmonologist does not feel this is warranted and my family doctor does not really have any clue what to do with me. Since it has been enlarged for that long of a period, do you feel that a biopsy would be in order?

Thank you for your help.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:06 am

User avatar Hello,

To answer your question an enlarged paratracheal lymph node is most commonly associated with sarcoidosis. In addition they could be due to lymphoma, lung, head and neck, esophageal, laryngeal cancer as well as lung infections and TB. Sometimes interstitial lung disease may be associated with paratracheal lymph node enlargement.

2 cm is significant, however the long duration is in favor of more benign causes. From your description you may have a generalized lymph node enlargement and this may demand a different approach to your condition.

I hope it all went well for you.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here