Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: Ovarian Cancer

Kathy0824 - Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:22 am

]Hi, I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I am 5' 4 and weigh 160 lbs. I started gaining weight about 3 years ago for an unexplainable reason, other than age, I am 35. I weighed 115 pounds when my weight gain started. I have kept track of my dietary intake and I am only consuming 1600 - 1850 calories per day and I eat pretty healthy. I have hair growth on my face and the classic buffalo hump on my back. I have terrible night sweats where I have to change my clothes and I also have to urinate in the middle of the night at least once. I have a lot of bloating and gas and my bowel movements change frequently to urgent diharea. I am extremely fatigued all the time no matter how much I sleep and I have left arm tremor and I have a very hard time remembering things now. I have spotting and my periods have changed drastically to extremely heavy, I go through a pad and super plus tampon in an hour or less. 2 years ago I had pneumonia with pleurisy and had ct scans several times and each time they found more nodules. A bronchoscopy was (mostly normal according to the doctor), but he didn't elaborate. I have pain during intercourse and bleeding after. My pap smear was normal. I had bloodwork for cushings syndrome and 24 hour urine all normal. I don't have insurance and the doctors I have seen told me that because I don't have insurance they are swayed in how to treat me, so they don't. I had one ovary removed when I was 19 with a "precancerous mass" and breast lumps removed twice that were precancerous. Ironically the breast I had the lumps removed from is now leaking a black discharge that started about 6 months ago. Mammo was normal. I am really starting to feel like an idiot and I don't know what to do about this. I exercise 5 days a week for 1 hour a day, I walk at 4 mph for 45 minutes and use weight machines for 15. I have not lost one pound and I have been doing this since January. My family history is not good, lung cancer, ovarian cancer, and uterine cancer in almost every female on my mothers side before the age of 30. My mother had uterine cancer at 25 and I have 2 aunts that died before 50 and my grandmother was 62 and had many bouts with cancer prior to 50. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much.
 Kathy0824 - Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:40 am

I forgot to mention that in having one of my ct scans for the lungs, the radiologist noted a possible mass of the pancreatic tail. The doctor said they didn't think it was anything and followup was not done, again this was because I have no insurance. I have intermittent back pain on the right side and a dull achey pain on the right flank that comes and goes. Thanks.
 Kathy0824 - Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:42 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions at all, I am at a loss and don't know what to do.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:02 pm

User avatar Hello, Kathy
Have you been tested for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? If you ahev not, I suggest you mention this to your doctor, as a lot of your symptoms match PCOS.

These are some of the symptoms of PCOS:

infrequent menstrual periods, no menstrual periods, and/or irregular bleeding
infertility or inability to get pregnant because of not ovulating
increased growth of hair on the face, chest, stomach, back, thumbs, or toes
acne, oily skin, or dandruff
pelvic pain
weight gain or obesity, usually carrying extra weight around the waist
type 2 diabetes
high cholesterol
high blood pressure
male-pattern baldness or thinning hair
patches of thickened and dark brown or black skin on the neck, arms, breasts, or thighs
skin tags, or tiny excess flaps of skin in the armpits or neck area
sleep apnea―excessive snoring and breathing stops at times while asleep

Keep us updated, and good luck.

|