News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Inflammed, swollen breast

sthroat - Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:15 am

I'm a 38 year old female. 3 Days ago my right breast became quite suddenly (within hours) very painful, inflammed and swollen in the evening (I couldnt sleep because of the pain). I have been sleeping for the past 3 days in a very uncomfortable bed on my right side, which I never do - not sure if this makes any difference. I went to see my doctor the next day and was told that may be breast abscess and I was given erythromycin which I started taking the same day. The same day in the evening I also developed low grade fever, chills, cold/flu like symptoms which passed the next day. The pain in my breast also disappeared but the swelling is still there - slighly reduced but not so much. I don't have any swollen lymph nodes in my armit or anywhere near. I'm feeling absolutely exhausted. I have been on antiobiotics for 2 days now. I was told that if it doesn't get better, I will need the abscess drained. I am not breastfeeding. My breasts are both very lumpy and have always been. My grandmother on my father's side died of breast cancer when she was in her 70s. I'm terrified that this is inflammatory breast cancer and that the doctor who didn't really take a lot of time to examine me has misdiagnosed it. Please help!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:47 am

User avatar Hi sthroat,
Typical signs or symptoms that may suggest a breast abcess may include fever, chills, general unwell feeling, breast pain, tenderness redness, etc. Treatment consists of antibiotic therapy. Generally speaking, after the course of antibiotics are completed, symptoms subside. When symptoms do not improve or subside during or after treatment this would definitely raise concern and warrant the need for further diagnostics. Inflammatory breat cancer may present with discoloration of the breast, ie., pink, red, dark colored areas. Warmth, itching, pain, may be present as well as occurrence enlargement of the breast. Again if symptoms don't improve or there is any question regarding the etiology, have a re-evaluation completed.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here