Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: PET scan results

kdsjager - Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:49 pm

My thymus lit up on a PET scan, and the report said it cannot exclude a malignancy.i have been having fatigue like i've never felt,severe itching,extreme weight loss(14% of my body weight in 4 months),drenching night sweats,and now have over 30 painless lymph nodes swollen,in neck,groin,under collarbone,armpit,behind knees.some of the nodes have begun to feel hard.all bloodwork normal,no infection.most of this has been going on since last year,about 10 months,the nodes are coming up more every week or so.in the last 3 weeks,i have begun to have strange headaches that cause my vision to blur,and feel like they are starting in the back of my neck,where on of the hard nodes is. i also have begun to feel an odd pressure/dull pain in the middle of my chest,and i feel lightheaded and almost pass out when this happens.my PCP doesn't want to even return my calls,and refuses to do a lymph node biopsy.he told me i had symptoms of cancer,but was too young to get it.what do i do next?my body is so tired from fighting this that i barely have the strength to fight with the dr. for help.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:54 am

User avatar Hi kdsjager,
PET Scans, or PET Imaging is a valuable diagnostic study used to identify certain disease processes prior to actual anatomical changes in body undetectable by other imaging studies. Generally speaking, this study may be used in combination with other diagnostics, ie., CT scan, MRI, etc. Although some of the symptoms in which you are exhibiting may be caused by a variety of disorders, I would be in agreement with your PCP in questioning a malignant process. For anyone to state, he told me "I had symptoms of cancer, but was too young to get it" is absolutely incorrect as certain types of malignancies have more of a prevalence in particular age groups. For example, Hodgkin's Lymphoma may be encountered more often in a younger age group while Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma may be encountered more often in an older age group. Taking into consideration, your symptoms, PET Scan results, etc., I would strongly encourage you to take your reports for a second opinion by another physician or a specialist such as an Oncologist for further evaluation. Best wishes and I hope that if your time permits you will consider posting an update.

|