News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: 6 year BAC survivor with blocked RCA

Blaze100 - Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:42 pm

Hi, I had bronchoalveolar about 6 years ago at age 46. Doctors removed my upper and middle right lobes, followed with 7 weeks of radiation & chemo due to 0.1 mm margin. My tumor was 10 cm. I've been cancer free since.

This summer I had an angiogram which showed my right coronary artery was 100% blocked which required two stents, each about 3 cm long. My left coronary artery was unremarkable.

I'm wondering if my blockage was caused by;

A.) possible radiation spray to heart

B.) pulmonary hypertension due to lobectomy

C.) just high cholesterol ?

Of course I have been going to cardiac rehab and have lowered my cholesterol to below 130 and am exercising daily.

I'm worried that if this is caused by pulmonary rearrangement from surgery and radiation, then situation could become worse.

Thanks. Barb
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:49 am

User avatar Hi Blaze100,
Coronary artery disease may be present for a significant amount of time (years) before the deficit of blood supply is slowed to the area in such an amount to produce symptoms or become apparent on diagnostic studies. One of the most common causes of Coronary Arterey Disease results from atherosclerosis (build up of plaque). Damage to the coronary arteries by, for example, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, smoking, etc. may result in damage and blockage. It would be almost impossible for me to state whether or not this condition was present prior to your surgery and treatment or if it is a direct result of such treatment. Your physician, whom is the most familiar with your history would most likely be able to give the best answer regarding this matter. Congratulations to you! I sincerely wish you future good health.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here