Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Pea Size Knot in Breast?

Onelildarlin2u - Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:11 pm

I am a 29 year old mother of 2. About 3 months ago I noticed a small lump in my left breast. About midway down on the outer side. It is about the size of a pea maybe a little larger. My left breast has always been considerably larger than the right. I would say C cup verses the right is a B cup. Recently it seems larger.....I am filling a D cup no problem on that side. Only the one breast is tender when I touch. I haven't had a period in 4 years now due to a hysterectomy. No history of breast cancer in my family.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:19 am

User avatar Hi Onelildarlin2u,
As I am sure you are already aware, there are both benign and malignant breast lumps, both with differentiating signs or symptoms. Lumps that are characteristic of a cystic or fibrous nature may be firm, movable, tender, change during different phases of a menstrual cycle, etc. Lumps that are hard, fixed, etc. would of course be more disconcerting. Any lump, regardless of age, should be brought to the attention of your physician for an evaluation. Changes for example, in the skin of the breasts appearance, ie., (redness), texture, size, itching, pain, etc., would absolutely warrant an evaluation. Diagnostic studies, would most likely begin with a mammogram, and would be followed by an ultrasound. Don't be surprised if this is the combination because in younger women, breast tissue is much more dense and areas of suspicion may not be detected by mammogram. Again, notify your physician for an evaluation, and if your time permits an update would be appreciated. Best wishes.
 Onelildarlin2u - Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:27 am

Thank you and I have made an appt. but it is not until Thursday the 28th. I don' t have a regular doctor and haven't seen a gyno in about 2 years. But the place I found is accepting new patients and they have a mammogram machine, and ultrasound available in the office. Any reason why my breast would change size though? It's kind of odd and I have never heard of it before.....Thanks again for your reply and I will update after I see the doctor.
 Onelildarlin2u - Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:21 pm

I went to my appt today that left with me with more questions then answers. The doctor said the tissue in that breast in certain areas is very dense? Said she was concerned about that and the swelling and scheduled me for an ultrasound tomorrow. What does that mean....dense tissue?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:11 am

User avatar Hi Onelildarlin2u,
Dense tissue may simply mean that due to your age, breast tissue is commonly more fibrous that fatty. Another meaning of dense tissue is an area of thickening. I hope your ultrasound has been completed, and my apologies for the delayed reply.
 joslyng - Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:06 am

Have you seen a doctor for this?

|