News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Having Surgery Monday Need Help-PLEASE

DOTBOWELS - Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:36 pm

Having surgery next Monday. Thoracotomy etc. Have spiculated nodule that needs to come out. Started coughing up stuff yesterday. Trying over the counter stuff which makes me feel worse probably because I'm coughing up greenish brown stuff. I was weaned off prednesone a couple months ago because I was feeling better. Would a 3 day antibiotic "C Pack" be better than going on Prednesone again? I know it is toughh without seeing me but my dr is out of town until thurs the day i'm supposed to do stress test, bloodwork, pulmonary functions etc.

I'm scared to ask but do they do surgery if your congested like I am? I did a mile AM and a mile pm on my tradmill with incline and at 4 miles per hr both times, not real fast but not real slow.

I have a doc friend (not involved) who I can call if I have an idea what to do/suggest.

Currently taking puff of Advair AM & PM. Have albuterol which I've never tried. THANKS

Thanks to all for any and all help.
 Dr. A. De la Guerra - Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:58 am

User avatar Hi Dotbowels,

In order to offer you a more accurate answer it is essential to know your past medical history, particularly concerning smoking status and respiratory diseases. Although, I found your previous post, and noticed you were diagnosed with Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA) in 2003, at age 54. Mainstay of therapy for ABPA is oral corticosteroids: a high dose of prednisone in acute attacks, followed by a lower maintenance dose. Simultaneous itraconazole (Sporanox®) therapy is also helpful. After reading your posts I believe you received initial adequate treatment.

Unfortunately, important details are missing: the stage of your disease (ABPA I-V), duration of therapy, previous pulmonary function tests.

Regarding your question about antibiotics or prednisone, I can’t suggest which one, because both require to be prescribed by your doctor. Therapy should be given according to the patient’s clinical condition, however most patients require prolonged low dose prednisone to manage their symptoms and reduce relapses.

With the information at hand, it is very hard to suggest any change of therapy. But, your doctor knows you are having those preoperative evaluation tests, and if he recommended Advair you should follow his instructions.

If you could send me more details about your medical history, I will be glad to give you further information.

Sincerely,

Dr Alberto de la Guerra.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here