Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: swollen lymph nodes above collarbone

lucky5 - Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:15 pm

2 weeks ago I came down with flulike symptoms fever, chills lack of energy so I just figured I was definately getting sick. I have been tired and achey since. I have been under a lot of stress and figured my body is run down and not fighting off illnesses as it used to. My son is going in the hospital in one week so I decided to go to the doctor incase I was contagious and needed an antibiotic. I did not want to get my little guy sick. After being examined I ended up leaving with needing to go for a catscan with contrast because apparently my lymph nodes above my collarbon were enlarged. I did not expect to leave needing further testing, I really thought I had a virus or infection. The doctor seemed a little concerned. Is it uncommon to have enlarged lymph nodes above clavical bone?
lucky5
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:15 am

User avatar Hi lucky5,
The right supraclavicular lymph node is located on the right side in the hollow above the clavicle, just lateral to where it joins the sternum. It drains the mediastinum, lungs, esophagus. Common causes of enlargement include lung, retroperitoneal or gastrointestinal cancer. The left supraclavicular lymph node is located on the left side in the hollow above the clavicle, just lateral to where it joins the sternum. It drains the thorax, abdomen via thoracic duct. Common causes of enlargement include lymphoma, thoracic or retroperitoneal cancer, bacterial or fungal infection.Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter; however, some authors suggest that epitrochlear nodes larger than 0.5 cm or inguinal nodes larger than 1.5 cm should be considered abnormal [1,2]. An increase in nodal size on serial examinations is significant.
Certain areas of lymph node enlargement are more disconcerting than others. This would be the reasoning for your physician wanting an evaluation with diagnostic studies. The results should provide direction into the causative factor for your symptoms. We hope all is well and best wishes.

References:
===========
1. Libman H. Generalized lymphadenopathy. J Gen Intern Med 1987;2:48-58.
2. Morland B. Lymphadenopathy. Arch Dis Child 1995; 73:476-9.

|