Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: underarm lump- cyst vs node

jenny2 - Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:40 am

I am a 33 yr old mother of 2. In the past I have had very small, moveable round lumps under my armpits. I have always had them checked out and they have been cysts. I have another one that feels exactly the same as they have in the past. It is maybe 2-3 mm (tiny, much smaller than even a BB) freely moveable. When is a lymph node under the arm considered enlarged? I do not want to be running to the doctor for every little thing. I had a mamogram last Jan which was fine. This has been present for quite some time (5 mo) and has not increased at all in size- its soo small I can't tell if it is smaller. I am not due back to visit my OBGYN until MArch.
Thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:02 am

User avatar Hi jenny2,
Lymph nodes anywhere in the body may enlarge as a result of, ie., an infection or inflammatory process and may not return to their pre-infectious size and stay slightly enlarged. Generally speaking, lymph nodes, for example, (1 cm or less) the size that you described are not typically worrisome in nature. However, if you notice any changes, enlargement, etc. be sure to notify your physician for an evaluation.
 joslyng - Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:34 am

When in doubt, always consult your doctor. There is no stupidity when it comes to your body and your health.

|