News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: increased lymph count

amg7643 - Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:01 am

Diagnosed at 37 with DCIS. I had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction. Because of early detection and choice of surgery it was determined I didn't need radiation, chemotherapy or any medications. My oncologist does blood work every 3 months. My concern is that my lymph count has been elevated ever since I started this process. Sometimes higher than others. Just this past week it showed up 44%. I am now concerned as to what this might be caused by? When I had my surgery they removed my sentinal node and 19 others in my arm but they all showed negative for any cancer trace. So I don't understand why my lymph count is high?? Please help me to understand why this might be.
Thank you for your time!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:41 pm

User avatar Hello,

Normal lymphocyte count is in the rage between 16-45% of white blood cells (WBCs). You count although high normal ,still in the normal range.

It would be helpful if you can inform us about the full report of yourTotal leukocyte count and the differential count.

In adults, It is considered (lymphocytosis) when the absolute lymphocyte count is greater than 4,000/mm3.

Lymphocytosis occurs due to primary or secondary causes.
The secondary lymphocytosis occurs in conditions in which the body responses to infection (especially viral), inflammation, etc

It also occurs during periods of stress, trauma, major surgery, drug reactions, or hypersensitivity and long-term cigarette smokers.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here