Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: 17 year old girl, lump in each breast

jade08 - Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:50 pm

I am a 17 year old girl and since I can remember my breasts developping (around age 10 or 11) I have had a lump in each breast. My nipples have also been inverted since then, with the exception of when I am cold. The lumps are firm, but they feel as though they can be moved around, and as far as I can tell they have remained the same size. They are usually tender, but not painful. Recently my nipples and breasts became sore, but I believe this could be because my period is roughly a week away and I just switched birth control and I am on my first pack of the new kind. I have never noticed any lumps in my armpits or groin. Recently I notice a lump on the back of my neck, but my doctor told me that it was just a swollen lymph gland, probably from too many fly bites in the summer. I have never consulted a doctor about the lumps in my breasts. Any information would be greatly appreciated, because I am becoming more and more scared.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:25 am

Many lumps in the breast are related to age. Around the age of puberty girls develop tender breast lumps beneath the nipples. These are growing breast buds and should not cause any alarm. Breast cancer is much more common in women above 40 years of age and rare in those below 40.

Around the time of each menstrual cycle the hormonal changes may cause the breast to become more lumpy and tender.

The vast majority of breast lumps (85%) are benign, especially in your age. Benign causes include fibrocystic breast changes, fibroadenoma, fat necrosis (trauma that leads to damage to the fat tissue within the breast), and sometimes breast abscess (in those that are breast feeding).

Please remember, that I am unable to assess your condition with any accuracy given the limitations of the internet. Please have your doctor examine your condition during your next visit.

jade08 - Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:56 am

thank you so much for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate it. the only thing i am worried about it my doctor or parents asking me why i took so long to ask my doctor about it, what do you think?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:30 am

User avatar Hello again,

Yes I understand the stress you could be under. Just tell your parents you need to go to the doctor because you found a lump in your breast. You can then break the news of how long its been there at the doctor's office. A few minutes later the doctor will, hopefully, tell everyone there's nothing to worry about.

Good luck! Keep me updated.
 jade08 - Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:45 pm

thank you once again, and i'm sorry to take up more of you time, but as i'm trying to work up the courage to do this, i came up with some more questions. What are the chances that I have breast cancer? I have read that since I have a lump in both breasts and they started when i was so young and they have been there so long that there's really no chance it's cancer - could you clear this up for me? I guess the main reason i am so scared to tell anyone is the chance that it could be cancer, i know that sounds kind of silly, but it's almost as if i would rather not hear it. anyway, once again, sorry to take up more of your time, but this answer might make it easier for me to build up some more courage.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:28 pm

User avatar I completely agree with Dr. Fouad. Breast cancer at your age would be extremely rare. It would be even rarer still to have breast cancer in both breasts. Young girls have very fibrous breast tissue that often feels like lumps. I suspect that you are finding completely normal tissue; however, you should get a formal exam to confirm this.

To further reassure you, most "abnormal" lumps in the breast do not turn out to be cancer. They are fibroadenomas which are non-cancerous masses. I'm confident everything will turn out fine for you, but you still need to get an evaluation.

jade08 - Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:35 am

I would like to thank you both for taking the time to reply and for replying so quickly. I just told my mom and she told me there was nothing to worry about and she is going to make me a doctor's apointment whenever the next one is available. Again, thank you both so much.
 jade08 - Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:50 pm

I would like to thank both of you for replying as many times as you did. I went to my doctor today and he told me after a check that it was regular tissue and nothing to be alarmed about. He also told me that it is pretty common in girls my age with smaller breasts (which I have) because there isn't much fat in the breast itself so it is easier to feel this lumpy tissue. He also told me that it would be there most likely until after menopause. Anyway, just wanted to update you and thank you once again for helping me through all this. : )
Happy holidays and thank you once again
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:30 pm

User avatar Glad to hear things turned out alright. Your doctor is absolutely right. You'll likely feel the lumps throughout your life. That is why it is important to do monthly self breast exams. This way you will be familiar with your breast tissue and be able to find anything that is changing or different that should be examined by your doctor.

lanieoneill - Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:11 pm

jade08 wrote:I am a 17 year old girl and since I can remember my breasts developping (around age 10 or 11) I have had a lump in each breast. My nipples have also been inverted since then, with the exception of when I am cold. The lumps are firm, but they feel as though they can be moved around, and as far as I can tell they have remained the same size. They are usually tender, but not painful. Recently my nipples and breasts became sore, but I believe this could be because my period is roughly a week away and I just switched birth control and I am on my first pack of the new kind. I have never noticed any lumps in my armpits or groin. Recently I notice a lump on the back of my neck, but my doctor told me that it was just a swollen lymph gland, probably from too many fly bites in the summer. I have never consulted a doctor about the lumps in my breasts. Any information would be greatly appreciated, because I am becoming more and more scared.

I have the exact same issue! I was around 12 when I first noticed lumps in the upper part of both of my breasts. My nipples are also inverted, but also the area directly below my nipples is larger and "plumper" the the above my nipple. They always look this way, except when I'm cold, as Jade mentioned. What could be the cause of this? My breasts have never looked normal, and have been this way ever since I felt the lumps when I was 12. I am now 21, and have not seen a doctor. Lately I have been experiencing sypmtoms of anemia (numbness, low blood pressure, dry skin, amenorrhea, dizziness, muscle/bone pain, chest pain) and I read that a common cause of anemia is cancer. Could it be possible that I have been living with breast cancer for 9 years, and now am developping anemia? Or what are the chances that these two conditions are unrelated? I am scheduling a doctor's appointment next week as I am getting increasingly scared. But I would greatly appreciate some insight before I go!

|