Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: 6 month lump on anal area

dejieyo - Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:23 am

Hello Doc,
Firstly I would like to know if any kind of lump in the anal area could be a cause of STD. After intercourse with my girlfriend, few days later I figured out that I had a lump in my anal area, which I ignored for like a month, until it started giving pain. I visited my doctor and I was given anti-biotics,which reduced the swelling of the lump,then later on about a month later, it came out a little bit bigger and with pain. I visited the doc again and I was given the same medication in which I was advised to come back to see the surgeon, ever since then I havent gone back to the hospital because I am afraid I would have to be operated upon, besides the lump in spreading to the lower part of my buttocks. Please advise.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:28 am

User avatar Hi dejieyo,
Since the course of antibiotic therapy helped both times, from your description, it sounds as though you may possibly have an underlying infection, ie., an infected hair follicle, abcess, cyst, etc. This does not sound typical of a STD. I would strongly encourage you to have a re-evaluation because untreated infections not only spread to other areas but also have the potential to make one quite ill. Best wishes.
 dejieyo - Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:28 am

Thanks so much for the swift response. I must say I did go back for re-evaluation just like you have stated. I am not only posting my messages only to know whats wrong or how to cure it, I want to know what could have been the cause since u indictaed it couldn't be an STD. Another thing I forgot to add to my first message is, whenever I am passing faeces, my anal opening itches me, and it makes me feel like wanting to put a sharp object in it to scratch. Please advise.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:42 am

User avatar Hi dejieyo,
An underlying infection, likely would cause, for example,a firm, tender area under the skin. Is the area you are speaking of around the anal opening, sort of like something is protruding or hanging there? Do you experience burning and itching? Does the area become swollen with passage of hard stool or episodes of constipation and then decreases in size over a few days? Any bleeding with bowel movements? If the above is a correct description, have you been diagnosed with a hemorrhoid because that would certainly be a consideration.
 dejieyo - Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:12 am

Thanks again for ur response. To be specific and to make things more clear to you. I am not experiencing any bleeding or bowel movement which are more like anal cancer symptoms, though the lump is a little bit above my anus,not exactly on the opening. But the other experience is, when am passing faeces, I feel itches in my anus, and like I said the other time, it makes me feel like putting in a sharp object to scratch it.But theres no burning. Now I checked on the lump, and it seems to be very soft, now looks like a boil that is about to burst. I am getting scared. If you can give me a line I can reach you @, I would love to call and explain things better.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:13 am

User avatar Hi dejieyo,

We don't take phone calls unfortunately. Like Theresa said, an anal mass could be due to a lot of things, including many benign diseases. Haemorrhoids, rectal prolapse, perianal haematomas, anal tags, polyps, warts or condylomas, anal abscesses can all present as an anal mass. Non-proctological lumps can also be present from time to time. These include sebaceous cysts and lipomas. Anal cancer is an uncommon disease, however, a palpable mass and/or bleeding is the presenting symptom in 50% of patients that get this rare disease.

Pruritus ani is excessive and often intractable anal itching from multiple causes. Men are more commonly affected in a ratio of 4:1. Pinworms (Enterobius vermicularis) and chronic Candida infection are the most common infectious agents. Local dermatitis can result from allergic reaction to scented or dyed toilet tissue, or from allergies to certain foods (eg, coffee, tea, cola, beer, chocolate, or tomatoes).

Although poor hygiene may lead to pruritus ani, overzealous cleansing and application of medications also can produce itching. A program of gentle but effective hygiene should be promoted. Drying the anal skin can help, and patients may require frequent changes of cotton underwear during the summer months to prevent skin maceration and further itching. Some patients have been effectively treated with topical antifungals and low-potency steroids.

Please understand that we can only help by providing medical information or explaining medical conditions to you. We are unable to help you reach a diagnosis.

Please call on your doctor again and keep him up to date on your condition.

Good luck dejieyo!
 dejieyo - Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:15 pm

thanks for your response doc, I will get back to my doc, but do u think I would require surgery?? because now the lump is geting softer assive its going to burst
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:34 am

Based on your description, it doesn't look like you will need surgery. It really depends on the examination though.

Keep us updated.
 dejieyo - Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:03 am

thanks doc, Guess what?? When this lump actually showed up, it was strong and thick, and it was inside....not an outside swelling. But like I have said before, its getting softer assive its gonna burst,now it has bursted. What do you think I should do? Because I never even thought it was gona burst.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:04 am

User avatar I cannot tell you what to do without examination. Please have it checked.

|